pier
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Aruba since 1979

Unhappy :-( a drowning in Aruba

From the BAXTER BULLETIN (arkansas)

Norfork mans drowns in Aruba
    NOVEMBER 29, 2010

Norfork recorder-treasurer Donna Hinton’s husband, 72-year-old Michael Hinton, died last week while the couple was vacationing in Aruba, according to Norfork Mayor Jim Reeves.

Reeves said the couple was swimming in the ocean, when they were struck by a wave. Michael Hinton thought his wife was in trouble and apparently drown while trying to help her, Reeves said.

“We’re trying to figure out the best way to help her, to support her,” Reeves said.

Arrangements for Michael Hinton are pending with Roller Funeral Home.

So sorry to hear that. My prayers are with the family.

On my recent trip to Aruba on 11/20 to 11/27 I noticed that the waves were really strong in almost all the beaches I went to which was unusual. I guess the weather patterns from all the rain they got plus the wind changed the waves.

Druif, Eagle, Palm Beach all had strong current. At Arashi Beach the waves were really pounding and there were some rip tides so I got out. I went there to snorkel but it was too dangerous on that day. The only beach which was calm when I was there was Malmok Beach and I was able to swim all the way to where the catamarans were docked for their snorkeling excursions. At Aruba Beach Club the beach was Ok were the big rocks are situated and towards the end of the Divi Dutch Village the water was more calm.

The reason I'm posting this is to warn people to use their best judgement when they go out to the beach. It the currents are strong don't venture out to the sea and stay close to the shore.

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    It is unfortunate that we lost another person in the waters of Aruba. My heart goes out to his wife and family. A few years ago I was at Baby Beach, weather was beautiful and sunny, just a normal average day in Aruba, floating around in a big tire tube. Before I knew it, I had floated all the way to the second opening in the rocks which allowed the ocean in, well I gotta tell you, the current was so strong and I wasn't even that close to the opening and I was being pulled by the current out to sea!!!! I got scared for a moment than thought about a show I saw that told you what to do in a situation like that, umm paddle or swim sideways. Well to my suprise, it worked, thank god because the current was really strong and I was scared. It took me a while to get out of it but it did work and I was so thankful to have remembered what to do. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone that is in a situation as I was. Just b careful and aware of how strong the current is and your surroundings.

That is so sad, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family. I did not see where this happened, I have been on Eagle Beach when there were good size waves. My father who is 74 got knocked over and I had to grab him before the current took him out. I always notice that Palm Beach is much more calm.

my thoughts and prayers also go out to his wife and family.
    I too was in aruba 10/31-11/21 and the waves were crazy....got rolled a few times and the current was really strong. snorkeled some up by the spot were the locals go and it was ruff....
    spoke with a friend of mine from aruba on skype last evening and he said its still raining and was really blowing last night....crazy weather everywhere !!!

We just got back the Halloween week and one day we had no beach, 2 days later tons of beach 5 days later no beach and my wife almost drowned from the wave after wave flow the undertow toke her from our room area at the Tam bldg 13 down to bldg 16 area. The waves were 10-15 ft tall. Sorry for the loss of your family member.
    We all need to be cautious it could happen to anyone one of that love the waters of Aruba

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    So sorry, what a tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

The beach at the Divi AI; drinks at the Paddock and Madame Jannetes
    That is so sad to hear and yes it should be a warning to all to be cautious. My experience this past week was, yes the ocean was really rough and I have to say that I have found a new respect. My experience was tthat here was a deep drop just a few yards from shore. I had great difficulty getting out without help. On the second day there a wave took me down and I was pounded with at least 2 more and dragged across the crushed coral. I was fortunate to have someone there for me and to come out with just scrapes. So I moved on to the pool. A few days later I found the ocean to be much calmer, gentle waves, no drop and somehow the crushed coral had all but disappeared. It just makes sense to pay attention to the weather, it's impact on the beach and when to decide the pool is a better choice. I love the ocean and I'm glad I went back in but I now know what to look for.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCabanaGirl View Post
    It is unfortunate that we lost another person in the waters of Aruba. My heart goes out to his wife and family. A few years ago I was at Baby Beach, weather was beautiful and sunny, just a normal average day in Aruba, floating around in a big tire tube. Before I knew it, I had floated all the way to the second opening in the rocks which allowed the ocean in, well I gotta tell you, the current was so strong and I wasn't even that close to the opening and I was being pulled by the current out to sea!!!! I got scared for a moment than thought about a show I saw that told you what to do in a situation like that, umm paddle or swim sideways. Well to my suprise, it worked, thank god because the current was really strong and I was scared. It took me a while to get out of it but it did work and I was so thankful to have remembered what to do. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone that is in a situation as I was. Just b careful and aware of how strong the current is and your surroundings.
    The same thing happened to me in Cozumel. I was taken out to see and it was difficult swimming back into the beach. You can get tired trying to swim and going now where. I finally remembered to swim sideways away from the rip tides and then stright to shore. Took me like 30 minutes to get back to the beach...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast