Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The palapas, the beach/lounge chairs.... and on the debate goes.
    I realize it's easy to say this while I'm sitting in the chill of Toronto, but, doesn't this issue of reserving and possessing a lounge chair just require a bit of common courtesy and consideration of the other people that inhabit the island/resort?
    Has it in fact gotten worse over the last year?

I know the concept of people taking the chairs to their 1st floor patios has been a constant thorn, to the point where a year ago there was one couple (room next to ours) that thought it was their right to actually bring the chairs UP to their 2nd floor room... gotta wonder about some folks' version of what is acceptable.

As for the palapas, I would imagine most resort goers are under the impression that it's up to the discretion of the resort as to how many and where the palapas go.
    Evidently, that would be incorrect. Hopefully, it won't get to the point where the gov't says enough, get rid of 'em all.
    That would be one warm stretch of beach...
    Last edited by Mr. Ratt; 03-22-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

An interesting older post, cannot remember if that was under the "old" government

Government & # of Palapas

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    I agree with Mr. Ratt -- those of us who love to sit on the beach, enjoying the sun and water, would be miserable without some shade to take cover under to relax or read!!! With all that lovely wind, umbrellas would never make it!!!!

I know people hate all of the beach and pool rules at the Marriott Ocean and Surf Clubs but they do actually prevent the "hogging of chairs" to occur. You get a chair tag for each guest in your villa and can use it wherever you like-beach, pool, deck, etc. Also your palapa is reserved but if you do not occupy it it-say you reserve it but go on a snorkel trip- they will reassign it to someone else after 3 hours? of being unoccupied. I know we all hate rules when on vacation, but as Andrea points out, many will just not do the decent and sensible thing on their own.

I just came back from 2 weeks at the links at Divi Village. I have to agree with the others about the severe lack of chairs at the beach (and sometimes at the pool). I was there as a Hotel guest and therefore do not have any ownership interest in the resort. This is likely the last time I stay at a Divi resort.

I had to go each morning at 7am just to ensure I could get a hut and chairs. I hate reserving, but I had no choice.. By 9am, all chairs are gone. It gets progressively worse through the week and by Thur/Fri it's fully used by 8:30. Someone tells me that they come down at 5:30am to get their chairs!! I stayed 11 years ago in the same resort before all the expension of the links and villas and the amount of chairs and huts was the same. Divi never increased the amount of chairs and huts. To make matters worse, many chairs are broken and never repaired. Then the icing on the cake is people on cruises (coming by taxi) and locals are also using the chairs and huts (when available). There's no enforcement by Divi management to prevent this. By the pool, there's signs all over stating not to reserve, and that towels will be removed if unattended after 1 hr, but this was never the case. If management would remove people belongings and towels (and they had to pay $25 each to get new ones) they would learn quickly.

On some days, I was walking by the high rises and you would see stacks and stacks of chairs. But at all divi properties, they was not the case.

I wish I would have seen this thread before I booked and I would have never stayed there. I understand that it's always an issue in most resorts, but I have never seen it as bad as there. How difficulty is it to buy chairs??

Many people say they have complained for years at Management, but they have never done anything to improve things.
    Last edited by wysiwyg; 02-13-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Option that hasn't been discussed is to book your stay @ the Tam versus the other Divi properties. All then becomes a non-issue!!!!! When you book a resort that is not diredtly on the beach there are shortcomings that come along with the enhancements of a 5star room.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    When we stayed at Bucuti, there was never a problem getting a chair or palapa, no matter what time of day! Big beach, less people!
    When we stayed at Holiday Inn, we really didn't want to get up early and stand in line to reserve a palapa (it was a vacation, after all -- no schedules!)! There was never a problem finding a chair (they have plenty!), and we always found a shady place under a palm until a palapa opened up. Many days we'd go off exploring in the morning, then by after lunch there were empty palapas, so it worked out okay for us!

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    I just came back from 2 weeks at the links at Divi Village. I have to agree with the others about the severe lack of chairs at the beach (and sometimes at the pool). I was there as a Hotel guest and therefore do not have any ownership interest in the resort. This is likely the last time I stay at a Divi resort.

I had to go each morning at 7am just to ensure I could get a hut and chairs. I hate reserving, but I had no choice.. By 9am, all chairs are gone. It gets progressively worse through the week and by Thur/Fri it's fully used by 8:30. Someone tells me that they come down at 5:30am to get their chairs!! I stayed 11 years ago in the same resort before all the expension of the links and villas and the amount of chairs and huts was the same. Divi never increased the amount of chairs and huts. To make matters worse, many chairs are broken and never repaired. Then the icing on the cake is people on cruises (coming by taxi) and locals are also using the chairs and huts (when available). There's no enforcement by Divi management to prevent this. By the pool, there's signs all over stating not to reserve, and that towels will be removed if unattended after 1 hr, but this was never the case. If management would remove people belongings and towels (and they had to pay $25 each to get new ones) they would learn quickly.

On some days, I was walking by the high rises and you would see stacks and stacks of chairs. But at all divi properties, they was not the case.

I wish I would have seen this thread before I booked and I would have never stayed there. I understand that it's always an issue in most resorts, but I have never seen it as bad as there. How difficulty is it to buy chairs??

Many people say they have complained for years at Management, but they have never done anything to improve things.

Huts were always kind of slim pickings on the beach at Divi. They just never had that many huts. But we never had an issue finding a chair, just not one with shade. And we very rarely have an issue at the pool either, especially since there are several pools. I'm so sorry about your experience there. We go in March and very rarely have a situation as bad as the one you describe. One issue we have had is people who take the chairs from the pool area and bring them back to their unit. But we mentioned it to management, and they brought the chairs back. Too bad your first impression of Divi was a bad one. Truly it's not like that all the time.

One thing to mention is that Management told me that if you run out of chairs, to just let them know (at the sports booth or at the Sea Breeze Cafe) and they will bring more. They did this once (for someone else) and the next day, those extra chairs were gone!

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post

Okay, so with me restarting this debate I do have to defend Divi to a small extent...I have really never had a serious problem getting a few chairs out by the front pool and never had a problem getting a chair by the villas pool (NOT THE LINKS, THE VILLAS)....but getting a palapa right by the pools is sometimes quite impossible.....
    That being said, I have taken folks belongings off chairs and used them when down at the pool...have watched that for more than an hour or 2 one particular group of chairs was not being used and so by hotel rules you can not do that......so, I told the bar tender I was doing it and told her to tell the manager incase someone came and complained......
    Did have the folks get a little upset but since they knew the rules and did not follow them, they didnt have a leg to stand on.....
    So, I certainly would never tell you to do the same thing I did, but fair is fair and as Andrea stated, consideration goes a long way and everyone should be considerate of each other.......
    My final comment is that I would encourage you not to give up on Divi, it is a really nice and calm resort compared to the high rises which I would go to only if hog-tied and bullwhipped....teeheehee......any of the low rise divi establishments are great and the palapa problem is minor compared to not even being able to sit on the beach because of the overcrowding.....ie, highrise beach area....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast