Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Druif Beach - Heavy Surf - One Dead - One Critically Injured

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    It is not necessary to actually be playing in 12 foot waves for them to be dangerous. It is my understanding that the person killed was simply standing at the waters edge when a wave got him. Two years ago on the north coast of Kauai 2 older women were walking at the waters edge when a huge wave hit them and took them out to sea. Both died before anyone could help. It is a good idea to stay alert when by the sea. If the waves start to get big, move away.

Was it a wave or medical issue?

How does a wave kill you??

It could drag you out to see, knock you against rocks etc...Who knows maybe the person could not swim?
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky59 View Post
    Was it a wave or medical issue?

How does a wave kill you??

Aruba since 1979
    or drown
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    It could drag you out to see, knock you against rocks etc...Who knows maybe the person could not swim?

12 foot waves... on shore at Druif? I dunno... regardless, we see and hear about folks visiting here at the beach getting beat up by waves. Folks gotta learn to respect the water. Just because you can swim in the lake back home doesn't mean you can tame the ocean. It's a whole different ballgame. I am sorry for the person that lost their life and the person still in a coma. I hope they recover.

I was a lifeguard in my younger years and unfortunately when people don't follow rules, other lives are at risk as well. It doesn't matter how good you are at swimming, the ocean should always be respected. The jobs of lifeguards are incredibly difficult when people don't listen. Apparently, yellow flags are up today, but that still means to exercise extreme caution. Sorry for the rant. I pray for the families of the man who died as well as the man in the hospital. It is so sad to see a vacation end that way.

A little off topic, but one year I thought I was going to die in Rhode Island. Between the surf and the undertow, I got pummeled by 3 waves while standing near the shore. I'm not thin by any means. My bathing suit ended up getting ripped from being tossed around.

Scary. Glad you are OK. I think I mentioned this before, but I got caught in fairly shallow water at Baby Beach and was unable to move for a time.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    12 foot waves... on shore at Druif? I dunno...
    Well, I dunno either... I sat on the beach one year a few years back and saw them at least that high, yes, during a rather extreme high tide.
    Yeah, it happens. When it looks from a distance like the wave is at least twice the height of the 6 foot guy standing in front of it, you tend to think that you are indeed looking at a 12 foot wave. I've seen it, many others have too.

Trust us... it happens.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Baby Beach can be a very scary area, especially when you venture outside the wall - where one SHOULD NOT be...
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast