Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Duty Fees"

mac

Smile "Duty Fees"

just returned from 5 great weeks at divi village, but got a surprise after we picked up our bags. all the years we have been going, (12) the aruban custom guys just waved as we walked thru. this time they stopped everyone and asked if we had cigs or alcohol to declare. kind of hard to say no when i had two large bags from the duty free store on my cart. got charged $29 duty on 2 1.75 liters of vodka and 1 liter of whiskey. they even opened up luggage and searched. guess they are finally enforcing the rules. sure made for an unpleasant start, but we survied and had a great trip.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I am confused on your $29 duty. Did you bring it in with you and got caught with it, OR did you leave with it going home? We buy all our liquor at the duty free going into aruba, thats why I am confused on your $29 charge.

"...sure made for an unpleasant start..."

Judging from this statement, I would gather it's the beginning of the trip. So I guess that means that any liquor or tobacco going IN to Aruba is getting taxed.

I wondered how long it would be...

Mr. Ratt
    www.heyoka-healing.com

Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I am confused on your $29 duty. Did you bring it in with you and got caught with it, OR did you leave with it going home? We buy all our liquor at the duty free going into aruba, thats why I am confused on your $29 charge.
    Anything bought in Duty Free is only duty free where it was purchased. IF you purchase duty free in the States and bring it to Aruba, they can tax it.

The same applies to anything duty free you purchase on Aruba. The value counts towards your $800.00 personal exemption when passing through US Customs.

Aruba Import regulations:

Free import by non-residents older than 15 years (residents may import half the duty free quantities).
    If more is imported the whole quantity is dutiable:
    1. 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars;
    2. 1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer;
    3. gift articles up to a value of AWG 100.-.

I would venture to guess that you brought things in before there was the BBO tax. Now there is a tax in Aruba and can be from 12 - 3% depending on how they calculate it.

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Aruba Import regulations:

Free import by non-residents older than 15 years (residents may import half the duty free quantities).
    If more is imported the whole quantity is dutiable:
    1. 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars;
    2. 1 litre of distilled beverages or 2.25 litres of wine or 3 litres beer;
    3. gift articles up to a value of AWG 100.-.
    wow, only 1 litre of alcohol,,,,,that's put the kabosh on my visits...I usually pack a couple bottles as well as buy vodka on usair when they go through with the duty free cart....
    i guess u can't blame them, but that amount is so small....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Robo, are you reading this...this might change your grand plans to bring all kinds of liquour into aruba....shoo t.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-26-2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: hahaha i fixed your _ and added the oo xo andrea

Aruba since 1979
    hmmmm strap it onto your legs and waist with velcro straps?

remember how i told everyone that we were really given the once over (i think back in october?) at aruba customs coming in?

there has got to be some illegal stuff coming in
    OR
    a way to boost the revenues

oh well
    we have done so well for so long bringing in supplies (aka liquor) i guess payback is tough to accept

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Robo, are you reading this...this might change your grand plans to bring all kinds of liquour into aruba....shoo t.
    More and more, Aruba is becoming like the USA! Taxes....taxes....taxes. On the bright side, maybe they'll soon make the next step.....free health care and food stamps for me as an alien.

Now to the serious question....if my family of four (2 adults, a 17 yr old and a 16 yr old) were to bring in 5 liters (vodka/rum), does anyone know what we would pay in tax?
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast