Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Duty Fees"

Why not buy your liquor bulk at Sam's club and put it in your suitcase (well wrapped)? If you pay a normal price and not buy it at duty free then they cant tax you right?

Quote Originally Posted by DushiHeidi View Post
    Why not buy your liquor bulk at Sam's club and put it in your suitcase (well wrapped)? If you pay a normal price and not buy it at duty free then they cant tax you right?
    Just make sure you don't go over the 50 pound limit for your suitcase....otherwise the airlines will charge you extra.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by DushiHeidi View Post
    I don't know about you Heidi, but I sure don't want my clothes soaked in vodka. They way they handle the luggage I would not feel safe doing that...Maybe small nips, but not big bottles.

Aruba since 1979
    i sound like an illegal alcoholic smuggler....................that being said

lots of the booze now comes in plastic bottles, lots don't.
    invest in some bubble wrap, it can be used over and over.
    transfer the big bottle stuff into 20 oz water bottles (dansai or poland spring type) remember to label.

i really do not know if aruba can tax the liquor that you bring from home? (and i do not mean the liquor that one buys at duty free airport shops)

hope the people that are well briefed can add to this thread.
    andrea

I know it's human nature, but it always amazes me that we will pay thousands of dollars to travel and stay in Aruba, and then complain about that $5.00 sandwich on the airplane, or jump through hoops to save a few bucks on a bottle of booze etc.

I do the same thing! Guess it's just part of the game to convince ourselves that we're doing something to reduce the cost of our vacation.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

they even opened up luggage and searched.
    So much for trying to "hide" the liquor in your suitcase. I am with Cindy though, wouldn't want to begin my vacation with stinking sticky clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    i had two large bags from the duty free store on my cart. got charged $29 duty on 2 1.75 liters of vodka and 1 liter of whiskey.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    ....if my family of four (2 adults, a 17 yr old and a 16 yr old) were to bring in 5 liters (vodka/rum), does anyone know what we would pay in tax?
    Hopefully mac can be more specific, but if the only liquor above the exemption were the vodka and whiskey listed above, then figure "about" $9.66/bottle?

Also curious if the duty free exemption on liquor would apply to minors, IOW, could each minor bring in 1 L. of distilled beverages?

I think the only way of getting a definitive answer would be to contact the Aruban Embassy.

Embassy of Aruba in Washington, United States
    4200 Linnean Avenue NW
    Washington, District of Columbia, USA 20008
    Phone: +1-202-244-5300
    Fax: +1-202-362-3430

I actually like the local (Palmera) rum and Balashi, I usually take a bunch of each home.

Sams Club....Info for Dushi Heidi

Sams Club is closing in Canada. Also, Sams does not sell liquor in Canada due to the laws here.
    See paste from article and the link for more info:

TORONTO -- Wal-Mart Canada Corp. is closing its small Sam's Club division, which never made it beyond six stores in Ontario, choosing to focus its efforts on the lucrative supercenter format instead.
    The Canadian unit of retailing-giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has tried to make a go of the warehouse clubs, which charge a membership fee in return for wholesale-priced products, for the past five years. Unlike the popular supercenters -- another 26 of which will open this year -- the half-dozen Sam's Clubs weren't meeting expectations, and weren't profitable, said Wal-Mart Canada's vice-president of corporate affairs, Andrew Pelletier.
    "Five years ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1235...googlenews_wsj

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    I know it's human nature, but it always amazes me that we will pay thousands of dollars to travel and stay in Aruba, and then complain about that $5.00 sandwich on the airplane, or jump through hoops to save a few bucks on a bottle of booze etc.
    The $5 sandwich I don't mind...it's payng $10 for a drink then being assessed a service charge on top of that.....pouring a drink takes a minute, the mark-up is rediculous! Probably 500%.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Strangely to import alcohol you need to be older then 15 y/o...
    Also if you import more then the limit the whole quantity is dutiable.

To export there is NO limit but I'll bet your country does have one...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast