Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Duty free liquor at airport departure?

Quote Originally Posted by KATH2ME View Post
    sorry don't know much about Rum, but is Palmera a dark rum or white rum ?
    They have ALL kinds of rums! http://www.rumpalmera.com/rum.html

Bucuti Beach Club, Natural Pool, Donkey Farm, Alto Vista Chapel
    Palmera makes a few different kinds of rum. There is the Palmera 500 Ana, which is a bottle that I brought back. It is a gold rum and I believe the most expensive of the bunch. I think we paid $25-30 US for it tops. They make a white and a dark rum, along with a premium sliver and a premium gold. I also brought a bottle of the Palmera Limon flavored rum back on our last trip. The Rum Palmera site also listed a white and gold 151 rum. It's not bad rum. My wife likes the Limon with Coke. We buy plenty of Havana Club for consumption when we visit Aruba.

A nice souvenir is a pint of Rhum Charlie's, which I bought at Charlie's Bar in San Nicolas on our last trip. It's funny that they use the word Rhum, which is a term used in the French-speaking island and almost always refers to an agricole. Agricoles are made from fresh pressed cane juice instead of unprocessed sugar or molasses.

So we stopped at the Palmera store a couple of years ago (near the weekend flea market). There was a really nice woman working there that was quite proud of all of the Palmera products. She asked me what I was looking for and I told her I didn't know, I was just looking. So she started pouring me shots of different rums until I finally had to tell her to stop as I was driving. We laughed about that the rest of the trip, and still mention it every time we pass the store. We purchase several Palmera products when we visit.

That is one way to get plenty of free drinks. I have not stopped into the Palmera store on any of our trips down. We might have to do that this year.

We arrived yesterday and they had mostly the standard rums you would find in the US in Duty Free before you leave the airport. I did see the Captain Morgan Dark Rum that I've seen rarely in the northeast. The 3 best sippers were Ron Zacapa XO, the comparable and cheaper Ron Zacapa 23 Year Old, and Flor de Cana 18 Year Old. I recommend the 23 and 18 if you like your rum straight up or on the rocks. We bought 2 bottles of Palmera and 2 bottles of Havana Club at the Market at Alhambra. It's a short walk from Bucuti. Monday we'll compare prices at the new Super Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by drtucker1 View Post
    We arrived yesterday and they had mostly the standard rums you would find in the US in Duty Free before you leave the airport.
    Just to clarify, this was NOT at the point of departure at the airport?

Correct. I'll post next Saturday what I find there as well.

We flew to Curaçao yesterday for a day trip. The Duty Free before you go through US Customs has a healthy shelf of Palmera rum. Nearly everything else can be bought in the states.

They do carry Palmera in after you get to the US gates. They were very low on them when we went through however.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast