Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Effect of sequester on Aruba Travel

Effect of sequester on Aruba Travel

Just wondering if the "sequester" now in effect will also affect the US Customs and Border folks stationed in Aruba. Last night on the news there was mention of the closing of certain pre-clearance points and the loss of up to 5000 customs personnel. If this was to include Aruba it would be major to those travelling to the US or through it

Aruba since 1979
    CBP cutbacks
    click link for some talk re: the subject

QUOTE=aquaman;241517]Just wondering if the "sequester" now in effect will also affect the US Customs and Border folks stationed in Aruba. Last night on the news there was mention of the closing of certain pre-clearance points and the loss of up to 5000 customs personnel. If this was to include Aruba it would be major to those travelling to the US or through it[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm flying from Newark to LA on Sunday morning and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So how are the delays at the airport?

I breezed through security at a VERY busy West Palm Beach airport on Friday afternoon. NO shortage of TSA agents

LOL, their frequent flier/priority line was longer than the line I was in

Aruba since 1979
    hoping they do NOT pull US Customs out of Aruba.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    hoping they do NOT pull US Customs out of Aruba.

I have been trying to find info on that, but didn't see anything. Did I miss an article?
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    there is no mention of it from what i can find.
    i hope it is not on any kind of a "cut list"
    i do not know if there are any cuts planned for US CUSTOMS on aruba.
    CBP cutbacks

In Aruba now, but I have heard that there had been some cutbacks a few months back which has slowed down the US customs process. This was done prior to the recent issues you are facing in the US. Was advised to give yourself more time as at this time of year, you didn't need the 3 hours needed during peak season but to go with the 3 hours rule. Usually, we would give ourselves 2 to 2.5 hours in March but have been told to allow for extra time due to lay offs .
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    In Aruba now, but I have heard that there had been some cutbacks a few months back which has slowed down the US customs process. This was done prior to the recent issues you are facing in the US. Was advised to give yourself more time as at this time of year, you didn't need the 3 hours needed during peak season but to go with the 3 hours rule. Usually, we would give ourselves 2 to 2.5 hours in March but have been told to allow for extra time due to lay offs .
    We were in Aruba three weeks ago. We left on a Friday and customs lines were horrible. I've never seen it so bad. We usually leave on a Friday or Sunday. They only had four agents working most of the time we were in line. It took us about an hour and a half to get through the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast