Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Environmental fee: New tax

ENVIRONMENTAL FEE:
    Part of the current Government’s Program policy is to undertake many projects to enhance the experience of visitors to our island – which includes loyal timeshare owners. These projects include the Linear Park, the Street Car (Trolley) to improve the movement in downtown, the renovation of Oranjestad, the renovation of all the neighborhoods in Aruba, projects to improve cleanliness of the island and much more. In total there are over 50 different projects aimed at raising the quality of life for our residents and guests alike.

In 2010 the Government reduced half of the Turn Over Tax (BBO) from 3% to 1.5% to improve the buying power of both visitors and residents, however, to be able to finance and implement projects to protect the environment and after months of various discussions, brainstorming and negotiations, the Government has reached an agreement with the business community and the unions.

Parts of the reform will impact the tourism community and as such, for the timeshare sector, the Government has introduced an environment levy which will go into effect on March 1st 2013 with a fixed fee as follows:

• Studios will be charged $10 per stay
    • One Bedroom units will be charged $15 per stay
    • Two Bedroom units will be charged $25 per stay

The above fee is regardless of the amount of nights, weeks or months a guest/member stasy at the Resort and this is in addition to the existing Governmental taxation.

In addition to the above, the following have also been agreed on:

• The introduction of an environmental levy on car rentals of US$ 1 per day per car as of March 1, 2013, while adequate inspection of rental companies will take place; the levy on tours will take effect as of November 1, 2013; the definition of “tours” will be determined in agreement with the sector;

• The introduction of an environmental levy of US$3 per occupied room per night for regular (transient) hotels, also to be introduced on March 1, 2013 which will be evaluated in September 2013;

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    can you provide a link to where we can find this?is there a government site that released this?

at least the timeshare tax is per "stay", not per "day".

Quote Originally Posted by arubaswim View Post
    ENVIRONMENTAL FEE:
    Part of the current Government’s Program policy is to undertake many projects to enhance the experience of visitors to our island – which includes loyal timeshare owners. These projects include the Linear Park, the Street Car (Trolley) to improve the movement in downtown, the renovation of Oranjestad, the renovation of all the neighborhoods in Aruba, projects to improve cleanliness of the island and much more. In total there are over 50 different projects aimed at raising the quality of life for our residents and guests alike.

In 2010 the Government reduced half of the Turn Over Tax (BBO) from 3% to 1.5% to improve the buying power of both visitors and residents, however, to be able to finance and implement projects to protect the environment and after months of various discussions, brainstorming and negotiations, the Government has reached an agreement with the business community and the unions.

Parts of the reform will impact the tourism community and as such, for the timeshare sector, the Government has introduced an environment levy which will go into effect on March 1st 2013 with a fixed fee as follows:

• Studios will be charged $10 per stay
    • One Bedroom units will be charged $15 per stay
    • Two Bedroom units will be charged $25 per stay

The above fee is regardless of the amount of nights, weeks or months a guest/member stasy at the Resort and this is in addition to the existing Governmental taxation.

In addition to the above, the following have also been agreed on:

• The introduction of an environmental levy on car rentals of US$ 1 per day per car as of March 1, 2013, while adequate inspection of rental companies will take place; the levy on tours will take effect as of November 1, 2013; the definition of “tours” will be determined in agreement with the sector;

• The introduction of an environmental levy of US$3 per occupied room per night for regular (transient) hotels, also to be introduced on March 1, 2013 which will be evaluated in September 2013;

I copied this from the monthly manager's report on the CDM website:
    Also on the divi owner group.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!

i did not get anything from lacabana.

hans, from tropic car rental, mentioned this "environmental tax" to me in november and was uncertain if it was going to come to being.

again, thanks!

I copied this from the monthly manager's report on the CDM website:
    Also on the divi owner group.

Looks like the Govt. may be getting a little greedy.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    If they actually use the money for what they say its for, I think it will be a good thing. The problem with a lot of taxes that are instituted is that they end up being used to pay bloated salaries of new upper management desk jockies and not for the actual work to be done.

Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Baby Beach

fees fees

If they keep adding fees=taxes it will get to the point that manny will not be able to afford going...so far this year just in new fees it will cost me $35 additional......
    Ok so less money to gamble or one less meal....still will do my best to continue going....

So I got a new job with pay increase last year but everyone is taking my increase, less 2% in our pay, higher air fare, more fees to visit Aruba...wow cant win...but must live

A message is posted on LaCabana home page
    Latest News

Aruba since 1979
    thanks!
    how did i miss that?!
    A message is posted on LaCabana home page
    Latest News

They should have actually enforced the new construction embargo that was in place to prevent environmental issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast