Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Exchange rate and currency advice

I also recommend Capitol One. I got one just for use in Aruba because there is no foreign exchange fee
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We charge everything on Capital One and pay it off when we get home.

Only cash is enough for taxis and tips and incidentals, about $250 or so in small bills, $1's and $5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    We charge everything on Capital One and pay it off when we get home.

Only cash is enough for taxis and tips and incidentals, about $250 or so in small bills, $1's and $5's.
    We use Capital One as well. They were recently rated No. 1 for points/miles for travel. They don't charge a currency conversion fee. That's really not even an issue since just about every place on the island charges your credit card in USD.

Charge as much of your expenses as you can for the points and use the points to pay for your airfare/car rental/whatever.

We do bring a little more cash for gambling and what not.

I haven't used an ATM in Aruba since the first time we went back in 2000.

Welcome to the Forum. You will find..as you probably already have...many new friends that are always anxious to help you in any way they can.

Ed

THanks so much for all the great responses. We can't wait to visit Aruba for the first time!!

M&M
    Hello,If we use the atm's and ask for florins, will they dispense florins with the proper exchange rate? I like many, would not like to carry a lot of US dollars, and at the same time would like to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate.
    Regards,
    M&M

There is an option to dispense in florins at the ATM machine. I haven't done it, so I'm not sure what the exchange rate would be - I would figure it would be the same as the bank, plus the ATM use fee, plus the fee from your bank to use an ATM that is not your bank's.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum M&M.
    i cannot answer about the exchange rate, but since the ATMs are bank owned/affiliated, i would imagine that the exchange would be similar to the bank and then the associated fees as jacki pointed out.

remember though, that the US $ is widely accepted........everywhere.
    occasionally, such as the grocery store may give you change in aruba florins...but trade them back to $ at the customer service booth.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    Hello,If we use the atm's and ask for florins, will they dispense florins with the proper exchange rate? I like many, would not like to carry a lot of US dollars, and at the same time would like to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate.
    Regards,
    M&M

We save any Afl we get in change and use it as part of the tip for housekeeping personnel.

As to carrying a lot of cash around, we use the room safe and take our cash out a little at a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12