Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Expatriates

Aruba since 1979

Expatriates

Forum members....EXPATS...... are you from USA or CANADA?
    How long have you been living on Aruba?
    Pros?
    Cons?

Is there an EXPATS organization/club ?

Although this might belong in the "moving to aruba" category/forum, let's try it out here 1st.

from Wikipedia
    An expatriate (sometimes shortened to expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

So excited for responses!!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Here's my info on this:
    I have been living here now for 20 months. Own my home and like my neighborhood.
    Pros:
    Weather is always great. Many good local reasonable restaurants to be found. People are friendly. It's a very relaxed way of life. My expenses are less here than living in the states (I am from Massachusetts).
    Cons:
    NO WAL-MART. Miss family and friends back in the states. Kinda miss the season changes (don't miss the snow).

Overall, I like it here and do miss the states. I also miss takig long rides (300 + miles) on my Harley. There most likely are other pros and cons but these kinda stand out for me. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Aruba since 1979
    thanks tom/stanley
    do u go back to the USA (MA?) every now and again?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    thanks tom/stanley
    do u go back to the USA (MA?) every now and again?
    Went back last June for my son's wedding. Thinking maybe this fall for 10 days. I have no real reason to go back. . . .

Tom and Stanley (the Aruba Guys)

Tom/Stanley - Is the dog in your picture with you in Aruba? If so, how was the adjustment for the pooch? I'm worried that the heat would be too much for my PBGV.

Andrea, thanks for starting this thread. I hope it generates a lot of replies, as my wife and I live in the USA and are considering the purchase of property on the island. We have looked at different locations during our last four visits.

A question for Tom and Stanley. Did you become citizens of Aruba?

Aruba since 1979
    i too am interested in the replies.
    are you interested in becoming a resident and living there year round?

We have looked into dual citizenship for a couple of reasons, although I maybe misspeaking as some of the information we've gathered from real estate and other's might not be totally correct. One reason would be to spend more time on the island, although at this point it would be safe to say that 6 months would satisfy us, but would like to have the opportunity to stay longer if our schedule permitted. The other reason, which I hope can be clarified by other members, would be to obtain healthcare. Medicare would not cover us on the island and we were told by more than one agent that as a citizen you have the right to public healthcare.

Aruba since 1979
    i am not sure that "citizenship" is what it is called. i think it might be residency or permanent residency.
    it takes a long time to establish residency...the folks i know that are friends that are there tell me the process was a year or longer.

you might be able to find more information re: residency by contacting DIMAS and also reading the category of "moving to aruba" to read of how others have obtained residency.

if you never did establish residency and were there only as time allowed (180 days per year), i have heard that there are medical insurance policies that can be bought to reimburse you for out of pocket expenses.

i live in a deed restricted community here in Fla. we have many owners here in our community that are canadian. by law, they can only stay a max of 180 days. they all purchase an additional health insurance policy for their time here. we have a few canadian friends who visit aruba for extended stays and i think that they too purchase separate out of country insurance policies.

you may want to private message forum member, bill stellar (canadian) or forum member sugar (an american) or forum member tom and stanley (an american) they may be able to advise appropriately and tell you of their residency experiences.

it is important for all traveling to aruba (or anywhere outside of their home country) to purchase trip insurance including medical.
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We have looked into dual citizenship for a couple of reasons, although I maybe misspeaking as some of the information we've gathered from real estate and other's might not be totally correct. One reason would be to spend more time on the island, although at this point it would be safe to say that 6 months would satisfy us, but would like to have the opportunity to stay longer if our schedule permitted. The other reason, which I hope can be clarified by other members, would be to obtain healthcare. Medicare would not cover us on the island and we were told by more than one agent that as a citizen you have the right to public healthcare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast