Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

finally booked it!! july 12-19th

finally just got it booked!! now i have all these questions running thru my mind. most i have found answers to by reading here, but i do have one i can't find an answer to. we are staying at the divi golf. i wanted there for the golf and also the room has a kitchen. i know to bring my own coffee and filters(lol), but what other things should i bring---or better yet COULD i bring? also, we use light cream in our coffee---is there light cream in the stores there? it will be myself, hubby and our 13 yr old son. thanks!!

Aruba since 1979
    Light cream....good question.
    yrs ago when i was on atkins i looked high and low for light cream at all of the groceries on aruba....found none.

the grocery stores are located pretty close to divigolf resort/village and there is not much you will not be able to find. 'cept light cream.

we now use plain old half n half

ok, what's next?
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    finally just got it booked!! now i have all these questions running thru my mind. most i have found answers to by reading here, but i do have one i can't find an answer to. we are staying at the divi golf. i wanted there for the golf and also the room has a kitchen. i know to bring my own coffee and filters(lol), but what other things should i bring---or better yet COULD i bring? also, we use light cream in our coffee---is there light cream in the stores there? it will be myself, hubby and our 13 yr old son. thanks!!

have a mini kitchen....what else should i bring?? what cant i get or would be way cheaper to bring ourselves? spices, salt, peper? peanut butter? what are some food items that are better brought?(if any?)

Aruba since 1979
    typically we bring some small items that take little or no space
    i bring :
    bunch of splenda pckts
    tea bags
    roll of paper towels
    handful of sugar packets
    pkg of baby bum wipers as those are good to have for quick hand wipes etc
    coffee filters
    oatmeal packets
    fabric softener sheets (great for rubbing on as insect repellant)
    sugar free seedless raspberry preserves
    peanut butter from the whole food store

on our last trip we brought a whole suitcase full of stuff (frozen steaks, chicken breasts etc)

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    have a mini kitchen....what else should i bring?? what cant i get or would be way cheaper to bring ourselves? spices, salt, peper? peanut butter? what are some food items that are better brought?(if any?)

thank you andrea...this is exactly the info i was looking for!!! i have no idea what i am allowed to bring or not allowed to bring. is there anything i CANNOT pack and bring. any and all help and ideas welcome!!

Aruba since 1979
    you are not allowed to bring fresh produce in

the bananas sometimes are pretty crutty looking so i had the bright idea to bring my own....not allowed.
    same with lemons
    same with all fresh fruits and veggies

last fall though, i did bring a bag of MAC and CORT apples fresh from the orchard 3 miles from here.
    they were a gift to a friend on island that begged me for them.
    and i was being totally unlawful and
    will probably go to hell for being so bold.

believe me when i say the grocery stores will have 95% of what you want (sans light cream)
    expect the pricing to be approx 20-30% higher than in the usa
    expect the prices to be listed as aruban florins.
    USA 77 cents +/- is the equivalent to 1 aruban florin

so do not freak out when you see a gallon of milk for what looks like a fortune.

liquor is expensive
    as is beer
    so if you want to have a drink or 2 and want to bring your own liquor, buy it at the duty free in your departing airport.
    2 litres per person allowed

and do not buy bottled water
    the water from the tap is marvelous. it truly is.

SuperMarket & milk question

http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/food-pack-30452/
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.

thank you andrea....you have been very helpful. by the way....your avatar is great!! i have two horses of my own! first time i am leaving them!!! but i really need this vacation.

We usually pack:

bottles of our favorite wine;
    tea bags;
    first aid kit;
    our own coffee;
    crystal light;

I have found over the years that you can find almost anything once you are there

thanks kenny. i know we will go thru a ton of drink mix..13 yr old son....on his drinks alone i could go to aruba a second time!!

Food

So we are allowed to bring food in...just no fruits or vegetables. It's okay to bring crabs, steaks, shrimp, and home cooked meals for the kids? Please reconfirm. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast