Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First trip/honeymoon!

Hey all,

I'm excited to say that my wife-to-be and I are heading to Aruba next Monday (2/15) for a week. It'll be the first time for both of us, and I have no idea what to expect. We've been given some names of places and advice from people, I was wondering if anyone on here wouldn't mind giving me their two cents. We're both late 20's/early 30's, coming from the Northeast US and staying at the Riu Palace.

A couple of the restaurants that we were planning on checking out include El Gaucho, Madame Jeanettes and the Lighthouse. I know there's been some discussion on Flying Fishbones/OMBTS/Passions on the board which I've been filtering through, at this point I'm leaning towards Passions just because of its close proximity to the Riu. Also thinking about trying Smokey Joe's/Iguana Joe's/Iguana Cantina and Wacky Wahoo's.

For nightlife, we've been told about both Sopranos and Mumba Beach. We're not looking for a Spring Break type atmosphere, but something a little lively would be nice.

Along those veins, we were also thinking about taking the Cukoo Kanuku (sp?) and/or Tattoo.

We'd also like to do some water activities during the day, sounds like DePalm is the way to go? Anyone know anything about Jolly Pirates or Pelican Cruises?

And what about money, are American Dollars generally accepted? We're planning on bringing some cash and some plastic (is Amex widely accepted?), and hoping that ATMs are around too. Anyone know anything about it?

Some people have mentioned possibly renting a car and doing some exploring on our own. Is this worthwhile, or should we stick with organized tours? In full disclosure, we don't have the best senses of direction...

Sorry for the length, but I appreciate any help/advice you could provide!

Tony

imo would go with Passions, and wacky wahoo's, a great 6hr. sail with Capt'n Anthony and the Tranquilo, 2hr. sail, 2hr. snorkel and lunch, 2 hr. return sail, good lunch, open bar for about $65.00pp

Quote Originally Posted by Stabones View Post
    A couple of the restaurants that we were planning on checking out include El Gaucho, Madame Jeanettes and the Lighthouse. I know there's been some discussion on Flying Fishbones/OMBTS/Passions on the board which I've been filtering through, at this point I'm leaning towards Passions just because of its close proximity to the Riu. Also thinking about trying Smokey Joe's/Iguana Joe's/Iguana Cantina and Wacky Wahoo's.
    Read through some of the comments
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/la%20trattoria.html

One of our personal favorites, and an affordable taxi ride from the Riu
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/passions.html
    We'd also like to do some water activities during the day, sounds like DePalm is the way to go? Anyone know anything about Jolly Pirates or Pelican Cruises?
    Among our top 4 favorite things to do
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/jolly%20pirates.html
    And what about money, are American Dollars generally accepted? We're planning on bringing some cash and some plastic (is Amex widely accepted?), and hoping that ATMs are around too. Anyone know anything about it?
    The US dollar is accepted everywhere and you will not have a need to exhcange currency. Many but not all establishments accept AMEX, we do carry one MC or Visa.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/atm.html
    Some people have mentioned possibly renting a car and doing some exploring on our own. Is this worthwhile, or should we stick with organized tours? In full disclosure, we don't have the best senses of direction...
    Personal preference, imo, take an organized tour for your first time on the island in order to get a bit of history and know what you are looking at.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/island%20tours.html
    Jeep tours are popular as well.

Thanks for the quick responses and links!

Another question: What is dress like down there? I know that during the day it's shorts/shirt/etc, but what about at night? Do certain restaurants have dress codes?

Quote Originally Posted by Stabones View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses and links!

Another question: What is dress like down there? I know that during the day it's shorts/shirt/etc, but what about at night? Do certain restaurants have dress codes?
    You can wear nice Docker-type shorts and a collared shirt to all of the restaurants in Aruba. I guess I would consider the dress to be "smart casual". My husband does wear pants instead of shorts on occasion when we go out for a nice dinner but that's just his choice (we like to dress up.)

But....you're staying at the Riu and they do have a dress code for their ala carte restaurants (I think just long pants for the men but I would check with the Riu.)
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Ooh, I'm glad you mentioned that Amy, thanks...Just checked the Riu website, there is a dress code for dinners

My husband and I also started going to Aruba on our honeymoon in 2004. Been back for every anniversary since! This will be our 7th year in May. Another really good restaurant is Papiamentos. The tables sit around a beautiful pool with gorgeous trees and gardens that are situated around an Aruban house. The ambiance is really romantic. We like this one for our Anniversary dinner.
    Have a great time!
    Connie
    Next Aruba trip in

Thanks Connie, I'll definitely have to look into Papiamentos!

Alot of credit cards charge you 3% extra even though it is dollars - just because you're outside the US. We only use Capitol One or AMEX as they do not charge the 3%.

Amex does charge the 3%. I was told that if the charge is placed in US currency, then there is no charge, but if it is charged in the foreign amount, then there is a charge...
    Decided to take down my timer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast