Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By crdavies

Thread: Fleas/Ticks Pets

Aruba since 1979

Fleas/Ticks Pets

A new member is unable to post, here is her question:

Just how bad is the FLEA and or TICK situation for dogs on Aruba?

My reply was that it is bad and that animals must be given flea/tick prevention.

Do any of you have advice or answers for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

My reply was that it is bad and that animals must be given flea/tick prevention.

Its a must!! The vets here carry the products for ticks and fleas that is applied to the skin behind the head. There are also collars but they are less effective. Unlike North America, the products they have here ( at least the last time I went to the vet) are not the same as the US/Canada ones. They do not protect against heartworm. I find that surprising given Aruba's mozzie population. I would get the full protection product in North America.

The member should also be aware that POarvo has been very bad here. Almost an epidemic. It is spread airborne.

Hope this helps

John

The flea/tick situation is overwhelmingly sad!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

When I brought my dog to Aruba for almost 2 weeks she had a regular, topical flea/tick preventative applied prior to our arrival. She went to several places on the island including a hike of Hooiberg and we did not see any fleas or ticks on her!

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Its a must!! The vets here carry the products and Nexgard afor ticks and fleas that is applied to the skin behind the head. There are also collars but they are less effective. Unlike North America, the products they have here ( at least the last time I went to the vet) are not the same as the US/Canada ones. They do not protect against heartworm. I find that surprising given Aruba's mozzie population. I would get the full protection product in North America.

The member should also be aware that POarvo has been very bad here. Almost an epidemic. It is spread airborne.

Hope this helps

John
    Hartgard and Nexgard, the same as in US and Canada are definitely available in Aruba.