Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fleeced by Fees article NY TIMES

Aruba since 1979

Fleeced by Fees article NY TIMES

a forum member sent me this today.......from the NY TIMES.
    I could have posted it in airlines category or hotel category but ended up deciding to put it here.

very interesting article

http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/09/23...ewanted=1&_r=0

Imo, it goes back to trying to make a profit for stockholders.

Airlines because the price of fuel is so high.

Same with cruise lines where food used to be all inclusive. Now many lines charge "extra" to eat in areas other than the "main dining room". Heck even cappuccino used to be included. No more...

Hotels? Just like running our homes, the price of everything, including food is going up. Definitely dislike paying $50 for internet at the Tamarijn when other resorts like the Radisson do not charge anything and have better service, but it is what it is and we pay it when we have to. An extra $50 a week is not going to be the deciding factor in where one stays. At least not for us
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 09-23-2012 at 12:13 PM.

I read where the Westin has a $25? resort fee, per day. I have already paid for my trip and hotel via American Airlines, am i already paid for, with this fee, or is this something they will scam me for, when i try to check out????

Thanks, Andrea, and Arubalisa (or your comments), this further illustrates how our monitors look out for our "Forum Members" by excellent articles and good advice.

Ed

Thanks, Andrea, and also Arubalisa. Andrea, this was an excellent article and your posting it and Arubalisa's comments should remind all of us how our monitors post excellent articles and give good suggestions to all the ""Forum Members." I agree with the article about all the added/hidden fees and how to avoid them.

I urge members to take a few minutes and read this article and be aware.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinStl View Post
    I read where the Westin has a $25? resort fee, per day. I have already paid for my trip and hotel via American Airlines, am i already paid for, with this fee, or is this something they will scam me for, when i try to check out????
    Google this for more info, I have read this as well, but I believe it truly just depends upon who you book your package through. You may want to just contact the resort in Aruba beforehand to make sure there are no surprises.

Thank you for your kind words Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinStl View Post
    We were in Florida in June and the Raddison tried this on us. We had booked the hotel through Orbitz. We told them there was no way we were paying over and above what we had paid on Orbitz. The fee was not mentioned at check in. Hmm, funny they waived it. Never pay for any additional fees without questioning it first!

The author omits a lot of information in order to try and bolster his arguments. For example; Spirit does charge for carry on bags, but their ticket prices start at $9 for some routes. Once you add in all the fees, they are still often cheaper than the major carriers on many routes. They're experiencing tremendous growth right now as well, so that pricing model seems to appeal to a lot of people. The $19.99 premium entree fee US Airways is adding is only if you want to upgrade your meal. The standard international meal is still included with the ticket price.

There is a very simple reason why airlines are adding fees. Ticket prices are taxed, fees and surcharges are not. Given the razor thin operating margins at most airlines, moving a portion of the ticket price into a fee can be the difference between a profit or a loss on a flight, route or for the airline as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    For example; Spirit does charge for carry on bags, but their ticket prices start at $9 for some routes. Once you add in all the fees, they are still often cheaper than the major carriers on many routes.
    My brother flew last weekend from Atlantic City to Fort Lauderdale with great flight times, early arrival in Florida Friday a.m. and late departure on Tuesday, for $79 round trip.

He layers his clothes and packs his "undies" in his laptop bag.

Bags that fit under the seat in front of you (like a laptop bag) are still free on Spirit too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast