Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Food from home for our November trip

Aruba since 1979

Food from home for our November trip

Often, when we are in Aruba for 2 weeks, we choose to eat in (at the timeshare) about 4 or 5 times.

This trip, coming up in 3+ weeks is no different, except we will have our son, daughter in law, and grandsons with us.
    (they have their own unit)

To make things easy on EVERYONE, most importantly the kids (ages 2 and 11 mos) we will plan on eating in 4 nights while they are there.

So, today was cool and cloudy here in Florida........a perfect day for cooking:

1) 2 racks of baby back ribs with my bbq sauce, slow baked for 8 hours in the large roaster. These ribs are now in the freezer and are enough for all of us, with leftovers. Also 4 lbs of my sour cream and garlic mashed potatoes now made and in freezer. (salad will be made in aruba)

2) 2.5 qts pasta sauce made a few months ago with short ribs and ground beef, in freezer labeled "for aruba". Ziti will be cooked at the timeshare.

3) 2 lb Meat loaf , roasted carrots and roasted brussel sprouts.........in freezer.

4) Chicken tenderloins, rice, broccoli and cauliflower casserole...in freezer.

5) Paul's birthday chocolate mayonnaise cake (bundt style) ..in freezer. I will drizzle the icing on in Aruba.

I HATE cooking.
    I really HATE cooking in Aruba. It will now be up to Paul and the rest to thaw, and prepare dinner and make salads.
    I am DONE.

These things that i made here at home, freeze well, travel well and remain frozen and will arrive frozen.

It works for us.

I know many will think or comment.........too much trouble, what if it thaws and rots, why not buy the ingredients and cook it there?

But, it works for us.

Do any of you cook, freeze and bring?
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

No.....

I actually like cooking and vacation presents an opportunity to spend time doing it. With blended drinks at the ready. The first time we had our island neighbours over, they were shocked by the meal, "Nobody cooks lime this down here...if it isn't on the barbecue, it's not happening." LOL

Have you considered doing a batch of slow cooker oatmeal at home, freezing and bringing down? Instant breakfast after two minutes of nuking with milk. And some recipes taste like apple pie. Oink!

Aruba since 1979
    what a good idea to package it and freeze it. thanks
    paul starts each day with oatmeal...sounds way better than the instant quaker oats maple and brown sugar!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I actually like cooking and vacation presents an opportunity to spend time doing it. With blended drinks at the ready. The first time we had our island neighbours over, they were shocked by the meal, "Nobody cooks lime this down here...if it isn't on the barbecue, it's not happening." LOL

Have you considered doing a batch of slow cooker oatmeal at home, freezing and bringing down? Instant breakfast after two minutes of nuking with milk. And some recipes taste like apple pie. Oink!
    Happy Holidays to you and yours!

It sounds like a ton of work but it's done. I'm sure you will be glad you did it when you get to Aruba. When traveling with little ones it will makes things easier on the nights you stay in.

Thanks for sharing. For now, it doesn't fit our vacation style but it's good to know that we could have that option later on of we wanted to. Honestay without you mentioning it, it's not something I would have ever considered.. I like the idea of having all the prep done and just being able to heat and enjoy for the most part.

We bring muffin mixes for the mornings, but I do bring slices of Sicilian Pizza and Italian Meat pie frozen and they are still frozen until we get in our room and we put right into the freezer until we use it, works out very well. Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

I usually do, but didn't do any of it this past trip! It was kinda nice Of course I did cook in a few nights, but bought everything in Aruba.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Geez....you made me so hungry, everything sounds so yummy! I would never have guessed you do not like cooking, I agree gloomy days are good cooking/baking days. I think it is great that you do this ahead of time and love how to label "for aruba". It must be hard not to eat beforehand. Nice that Paul and others will take care of the meals once thawed, you deserve to sit back, relax and enjoy today's hard work.

Everything sounds delicious! Just a reminder that you will need to warm these items in the toaster oven or microwave because Tropicana does not have ovens in their units.

Your trip rip is getting very close!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast