Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Frozen meat

nikko did you freeze ham and bacon???

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

We bring frozen meat every year and have no problem. We cook a few nights, BBQ at the resort a couple and go out a couple nights. Being there 2 + weeks, it makes a big difference. We also bring our favorite spices and salsa, makes for a much cheaper trip.

Aruba since 1979
    Bringing Meats to Island
    check out this thread

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    when we went last june....me, hubby, son and 4 of his friends(18 yr olds) we packed 6 lbs of taylor ham, 5 lbs of bacon, 5 lbs of breakfast sausages and I packed a whole filet mignon and butchered it there. all that cost me less than $80.00. I do not even want to think what it would have cost there.....lol
    Where do you live that you can get all that meat for less than $80? The bacon alone would cost me $20. Whole filets are running $18 a pound. Not sure what Taylor ham is but sliced lunch ham runs $5 to $9 a pound depending on quality. I may need to move.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Where do you live that you can get all that meat for less than $80? The bacon alone would cost me $20. Whole filets are running $18 a pound. Not sure what Taylor ham is but sliced lunch ham runs $5 to $9 a pound depending on quality. I may need to move.
    A couple times a year I can get whole filets from my warehouse club for 10 dollars a pound. Typically its just under 20 per pound from my butcher. The stuff from the butcher doesn't look anything like the warehouse club stuff but the warehouse club after trimming scraps are great when ground up with bacon for my burgers.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

yes....we froze bacon, sausage, taylor ham and filet.....it was still frozen when we got there. packed it at about 4 am and unpacked it at about 3pm in aruba.
    Taylor ham is a jersey thing...also known as pork roll. makes an amazing breakfast sandwich, or late night after drinking sandwich. lol
    during the year I got the whole filet on sale for 5.99lb. buy, stick in freezer and save for aruba! I buy bacon in bulk and usually get it for 3.00 a lb sausage runs me on sale 2.00 a lb and I buy the whole taylor ham and slice it myself for 17.00 from sams club. so with some advance planning and looking for sales its not that expensive. I don't bring all this (except the taylor ham...lol) when its just the three of us.....but feeding 6 hungry men...oh hell yeah!!! lol

Last year I smoked a turkey breast, a brisket and a pork shoulder. I bought the meat when it was on sale at Sam's or BJ's and smoked it when I had time. I vacuum sealed and froze the meat after slicing or pulling, and before we left placed it in a soft sided cooler and it was in fine shape when we arrived. It was nice having a taste from home for sandwiches and a few meals, and it helped the budget to be able to grab a quick sandwich and beer in the timeshare and get back to the pool.

We always bring food into Aruba. I have checked with the tourism authority and was told no problem even with USDA frozen meat. We check a rolling cooler as luggage. Do NOT tape it shut or secure it that airport personnel can't get into it. We use 3 or 4 bungee cords that just hook together. Our flight to Aruba usually leaves around 6:00am and we leave for the airport a few minutes before 4am. At about 3:30am we take all the food out of the freezer (butter, bread, Costco lasagne, Omaha steaks, Omaha burgers, etc.) Anything that goes in the cooler was put in the freezer the night before. All of the perishables act as their own ice pack. You cannot use dry ice and we don't add regular ice either. We normally land in Aruba and get to hotel by 3:00pm. It is in the cooler for a solid 10 to 12 hours. It is always solid as a rock when we get to resort.

We bring frozen meats to grill on stay in nights. It's just cost effective and we have had some beef from the the grocery stores in Aruba that we didn't care for. We packed it frozen with ice packs in a soft side cooler and it's all still frozen when we arrive.

Thanks all going to bring a few things...

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12