Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobbyaruba

Thread: Full face Snorkel Mask

Aruba since 1979

Full face Snorkel Mask

A couple of years ago I asked the nice lady who works at AquaWindies about the full face masks for snorkeling.
    Before she could answer, a scuba customer said that the big concern was CO2 build up.
    The employee never gave me her opinion, but the scuba equipment customer really had a lot of negative stuff to say.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-...elated-deaths/

I know that Jacki's kids loved using this mask and had no complaints.

Any of you try this mask out?

(also going to copy this to the Activities/Sports category)

Hi Andrea..... As a Scuba Diver I a;ways try new equipment......there are pros and cons with this mask. People have actually died with this mask and my wife almost did and here is why.... when your a young person you actually take in less air into your lungs even in a panic situation. Young people can use this mask and enjoy it with tons of viewing around them..Now with the problem with the design.....The little ball that goes up and down in that snorkel allows you to intake when needed under normal circumstances....however in a older person experienced and non experience snorkelers that get to tired or have a panic attack when they see something that scares them or waves hit them into a reef----you start to breathe harder and you can't get the air you need to continue...you rip off that mask and when your over your head and waves are hitting you..people drown....I had to save my wife..first we went on a 2 hour trip deeper water and she had a panic attack when she got too close to a reef...and then couldn't BREATHE. I come over to her and held her with her mask off to regain breathing....it took a long time...never the less that was her last trip out with that mask.... so be careful and keep shallow...Thanks Bobby

Aruba since 1979
    WOW.
    Horrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyaruba View Post
    Hi Andrea..... As a Scuba Diver I a;ways try new equipment......there are pros and cons with this mask. People have actually died with this mask and my wife almost did and here is why.... when your a young person you actually take in less air into your lungs even in a panic situation. Young people can use this mask and enjoy it with tons of viewing around them..Now with the problem with the design.....The little ball that goes up and down in that snorkel allows you to intake when needed under normal circumstances....however in a older person experienced and non experience snorkelers that get to tired or have a panic attack when they see something that scares them or waves hit them into a reef----you start to breathe harder and you can't get the air you need to continue...you rip off that mask and when your over your head and waves are hitting you..people drown....I had to save my wife..first we went on a 2 hour trip deeper water and she had a panic attack when she got too close to a reef...and then couldn't BREATHE. I come over to her and held her with her mask off to regain breathing....it took a long time...never the less that was her last trip out with that mask.... so be careful and keep shallow...Thanks Bobby

Thanks for the info Bobby.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ