Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GI Virus (?)

GI Virus (?)

Have heard recent stories of a Gi Virus affecting new visitors withing 24 hours of arrival. Not exactly noro-virus, but symptoms last for a couple of days.

F + J Landry
    Burlington, Ma.

Where did you hear it?

Aruba since 1979
    have not heard anything of the sort re: a GI Bug
    if in doubt, wear a disposable surgical mask on the plane, gloves and use sanitizing gel on your hands.

we flew recently and i got a horrible head cold and came down with it 36 hrs after being on the plane.........planes are like leper colonies

when do u leave for aruba?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flandry1950 View Post
    Have heard recent stories of a Gi Virus affecting new visitors withing 24 hours of arrival. Not exactly noro-virus, but symptoms last for a couple of days.

F + J Landry
    Burlington, Ma.

That's making the rounds here in Massachusetts. Maybe people are arriving with it. I've heard it's 12-24 hours of hell, but it passes quickly. Let's hope that's all it is. Planes are brutal for passing things so be careful.

Yeesh . . . I will be the guy spraying Lysol, Off, Raid, and a healthgy dose of Fabreeze for good measure on the next flight. . . :-D
    Michael

We both came down with both vomiting and diarea a couple of weeks ago. After being here for while.

Ours lasted two days and couple of days after that recouperating.
    Lots of Gaterade and tylonol helped.

We do know of vistors and locals who also have had it.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

After having GI attacks multiple years several years back, I adopted a 'routine' that at least in my head, is working. Even though many say it doesn't work, I take Airborne for 2 weeks prior to our flight to bolster my immune system. Mimi says I'm nuts. Once on the plane, we essentially disinfect our seating area using multiple wipes. Once on the island, I don't consume any fresh salad greens or cantalope. Been working to date.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Snidely View Post
    After having GI attacks multiple years several years back, I adopted a 'routine' that at least in my head, is working. Even though many say it doesn't work, I take Airborne for 2 weeks prior to our flight to bolster my immune system. Mimi says I'm nuts. Once on the plane, we essentially disinfect our seating area using multiple wipes. Once on the island, I don't consume any fresh salad greens or cantalope. Been working to date.
    Now that I could not do....I am a salad girl and would go nuts without my greens. But you need to do whatever works for you.

In all of my trips to Aruba (and travel elsewhere), I've only been sick once and that was a nice dose of food poisoning while in Aruba - something I hope to never repeat again.

Airplanes are definitely flying germ carriers though...I always bring Purell and try to use it as much as possible.

EBB - hope both you and Nancy are feeling better!
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

If you are in Aruba and there is something going around, your best defense IS frequent hand washing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Airplanes are definitely flying germ carriers though...I always bring Purell and try to use it as much as possible.

EBB - hope both you and Nancy are feeling better!
    I always carry a travel size bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse.

Mostly to use after I gas up my car here at home , but studies have shown that literally every surface in an airport, and elsewhere in public places, are crawling with germs and bacteria.

Just holding on to the handrail on the escalator at Hartsfield in Atlanta creeps me out. From there you move on to the subway trains with grasp bars. There is no getting around holding on to something while on board. Once you have departed the train it is back up the escalator and you still have not even reached the gate.

Once we arrive at the gate, I head to the nearest restroom to give the hands a good washing. From then on I try the best I can to be very cautious of what I touch, but using the hand sanitizer as well, especially if I am going to have something to eat or drink.

Fighting the Flu: Do Hand Sanitizers Work?
    Make sure the sanitizer is at least 60% alcohol

Testing Reveals High Contamination Levels of Everyday Objects in Major U.S. Cities; Gas Pump and Mailbox Handles are Among the Dirtiest
    "...more than 40 percent of escalator rails and ATM machine buttons can be highly contaminated, potentially exposing people to illness-causing bacteria."

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,
    >>>> "In all of my trips to Aruba (and travel elsewhere), I've only been sick once"
    ----- DITTO! Did fast food one day (seafood sub for Lunch and a greasy pizza for Dinner). Next day felt really bad. Didn't want anything to eat or even look at food. Stay away from fast food in Aruba now and that was like 10 years ago.
    After New Year's in the Baltimore area this year some of that was going around.
    When the H1N1 Flu was around my wife and I got in testing the vaxcine before it was deemed good. Got 2 shoots(2 weeks apart) with many blood tests before, during and after. They discovered only 1 shoot was needed from the blood work. We got several $$$ from the study. Got the normal flu shoot afterwards also that year. On arrival in Aruba the next years the airport was making everyone fill out paperwork. Since I have allergies and sneeze and blow my nose at times I know its not the flu. So didn't put down yes to those 2 guestions.
    Last edited by TomFrederick; 02-21-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast