Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thumbs up Good new about Aruba electricity and water!

Finally...

"...As respond on the increasing oil prices and its negative consequences for our island, the government has decided to import gas from Colombia. The electricity supply can be altered to use natural gas instead of fuel oil for an estimate of 20 millions. The production of electricity and water becomes 40 percent cheaper because of this, said Premier Nelson Oduber yesterday. “Besides, it’s going to be cleaner..."

The premier of Aruba made these comments during a press conference yesterday. He is just back from a working visit in Colombia. This is an historic moment, said Oduber.

The premier says that altering the WEB to use natural gas instead of fuel oil must be possible in one year. WEB will take care of the costs, about 20 millions. The natural gas will have to be transported by ship in the beginning, but the construction of a pipeline must be considered on the medium- and long run. This pipeline will have to run via Venezuela to our island. Oduber thinks that this may take about 3 years. Apart from using the gas for the production of electricity and water, it can also be used for cars and in the houses. Oduber does not abandon the thoughts of other alternatives like wind- and sun energy, but these can only supply the island with a limited amount of electricity and water.

Aruba since 1979
    premier nelson obuder really needs to be looking into wind and solar.

40% cheaper water and electric for the residents is great....but they need to be NOT dependant on any other country for their basic power and water needs.

the desalinization plant on aruba is top notch and is a fine model for other countries. the water produced there is clean and delicious.
    many of us are always bragging about aruba's water.

it is time everyone especially residents, brag about their solar and wind technologies.

oh ya...........i am not an aruban or a resident and i have no right to tell these folks how it should be done.

i need more coffee and will go back to my "place" as an outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Finally...

"...As respond on the increasing oil prices and its negative consequences for our island, the government has decided to import gas from Colombia. The electricity supply can be altered to use natural gas instead of fuel oil for an estimate of 20 millions. The production of electricity and water becomes 40 percent cheaper because of this, said Premier Nelson Oduber yesterday. “Besides, it’s going to be cleaner..."

The premier of Aruba made these comments during a press conference yesterday. He is just back from a working visit in Colombia. This is an historic moment, said Oduber.

The premier says that altering the WEB to use natural gas instead of fuel oil must be possible in one year. WEB will take care of the costs, about 20 millions. The natural gas will have to be transported by ship in the beginning, but the construction of a pipeline must be considered on the medium- and long run. This pipeline will have to run via Venezuela to our island. Oduber thinks that this may take about 3 years. Apart from using the gas for the production of electricity and water, it can also be used for cars and in the houses. Oduber does not abandon the thoughts of other alternatives like wind- and sun energy, but these can only supply the island with a limited amount of electricity and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    premier nelson obuder really needs to be looking into wind and solar.

40% cheaper water and electric for the residents is great....but they need to be NOT dependant on any other country for their basic power and water needs.
    I totally agree!!!!!
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Wind and solar energies will need to be added in the future for sure but if you consider the fact that for a modest $20 millions people will save 40% on their water & electricity bill within a year...
    I know many north americans that would love that.
    Changing the whole structure for a wind and solar energy would cost billions not millions....

I think this is a good new for a short term solution.
    Last edited by qlaval; 06-09-2008 at 02:00 AM.
    Pierre

If wind and solar power do not work in Aruba then it would have issues every where else in the world!
    As an outsider looking in this is on of the ideal places in the world for each!
    Have Fun, Pete

Aruba since 1979
    yes maybe a short term solution, but putting the millions directly into the formation/investigation/plan of solar and wind is money better spent. i analogize it like this. "like putting a band aid on a broken arm"

re: the usa's stimulus package
    if that money (the BILLIONS of dollars) that was sent to all of us ($1200 per couple) was instead put into the solar/wind projects around the country (yes federally subsidized) wouldn't that have been a better use for the $$$?

Google the following words "Germany Wind Turbines" "Texas Wind Turbines" Iceland geothermal

i need now to shut up.
    andrea
    currently sweating bulletts in 92 degree waltham

Quote Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
    Wind and solar energies will need to be added in the future for sure but if you consider the fact that for a modest $20 millions people will save 40% on their water & electricity bill within a year...
    I know many north americans that would love that.
    Changing the whole structure for a wind and solar energy would cost billions not millions....

I think this is a good new for a short term solution.