Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: GoodBye Mio

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I have verizon and my phone does not get unlocked so I can't get a sim card.
    Gaby, I recommend you go in to a Verizon store near you and have a person explain to you the options for international. They can show you in oerson the mifi devices and explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Or you can unlock your phone, get a SIM card in Aruba and the phone can do the same thing as these extraneous devices.
    We kept the old phones from our most recent upgrade for this very reason. We use it like an iPod. Last year I was going to get the Setar sim, but ended up just using wifi around the resorts and one day of the Verizon $10 international plan.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 08-06-2017 at 09:07 AM.

I have verizon and my phone does not get unlocked so I can't get a sim card.
    The majority of carriers in the US now unlock mobile phones (I'm not sure if it was legislated or not but I think they wanted to avoid legislation):

From the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...unlocking-faqs

And Verizon:

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    The majority of carriers in the US now unlock mobile phones (I'm not sure if it was legislated or not but I think they wanted to avoid legislation):

From the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...unlocking-faqs

And Verizon:

http://www.verizon.com/about/consume...locking-policy
    thanks act1966, I will check with Verizon. Actually going to the apple store tomorrow and we did get our phones right from them so they might know. if not, i will call verizon. would be great to get a sim card for setar or digicell

thanks act1966, I will check with Verizon. Actually going to the apple store tomorrow and we did get our phones right from them so they might know. if not, i will call verizon. would be great to get a sim card for setar or digicell
    Do you mean you bought your phone directly from apple? It would already be unlocked then.

Here's a good explanation of how to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iph...tspot-3513223/

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Do you mean you bought your phone directly from apple? It would already be unlocked then.

Here's a good explanation of how to turn your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iph...tspot-3513223/
    we bought it from Apple but it does say Verizon on it at the top since they hooked us up directly with Verizon. But I will ask when I go. I know there is no contract except we are paying for the phones monthly. I don't really care about the phone as much as I do about wifi which if it works in our townhouse, i am good because i have an xfinity app and you can use that to call people (as long as you have wifi). I don't really call people. but Setar is not the most reliable internet so it could be a crapshoot. we'll see. the important thing is we are in Aruba, lol...........

we bought it from Apple but it does say Verizon on it at the top since they hooked us up directly with Verizon. But I will ask when I go. I know there is no contract except we are paying for the phones monthly. I don't really care about the phone as much as I do about wifi which if it works in our townhouse, i am good because i have an xfinity app and you can use that to call people (as long as you have wifi). I don't really call people. but Setar is not the most reliable internet so it could be a crapshoot. we'll see. the important thing is we are in Aruba, lol...........
    We've actually found the SETAR mobile/LTE to be more reliable than their cable (land based) internet. We're up near GoldCoast as well and think the mobile is good because of that tower near there. Our neighbour told us that SETAR is upgrading the lines to fiber in the area so that'll probably up the game on the cable offering.

went to the apple store. apparently because we didn't outright buy the phones but did the monthly thing, they stay locked until the phones are paid for. we can either wait the year or pay them in full now. I don't care enough as I said. I just want internet and as long as the townhouse has it, i'm good. i can make phone calls from my xfinity app to anyone in the USA for free and 40 cents per minute to anyone in Aruba. I'm good. at some point closer to going, I will definitely be asking you guys here where to put the phone on so I can use wifi but not get stuck with data or cellular roaming. if you shut those off, do you still put the phone on airplane mode???

Aruba since 1979
    Airplane mode ON
    wifi ON

u can make internet calls using voip.
    went to the apple store. apparently because we didn't outright buy the phones but did the monthly thing, they stay locked until the phones are paid for. we can either wait the year or pay them in full now. I don't care enough as I said. I just want internet and as long as the townhouse has it, i'm good. i can make phone calls from my xfinity app to anyone in the USA for free and 40 cents per minute to anyone in Aruba. I'm good. at some point closer to going, I will definitely be asking you guys here where to put the phone on so I can use wifi but not get stuck with data or cellular roaming. if you shut those off, do you still put the phone on airplane mode???

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Airplane mode ON
    wifi ON

u can make internet calls using voip.
    thanks Andrea, I knew you would be able to answer me, lol. Of course you must have told me that a hundred times but do I pay attention? No, lol. I am actually writing it down. You, of course know we are new to smartphones. So airplane & wifi on. Thank you!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast