Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: groceries? to cook or not to cook?

groceries? to cook or not to cook?

that is the question. I was planning on renting a car and picking up groceries to save a little money. But as the trip draws closer, I'm thinking that I don't want to cook on my first child-free vacation since my honeymoon in 1997.

Has anyone eaten out for their entire vacation?
    Looking forward to my Aruba trip:

Aruba since 1979
    yup many of us eat out for the entire duration.

there were times, when all we had in our refrigerator @ lacabana was half and half for the coffee and iced water.

visit the culinary section for lots and lot of restaurant suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by darrwenn View Post
    that is the question. I was planning on renting a car and picking up groceries to save a little money. But as the trip draws closer, I'm thinking that I don't want to cook on my first child-free vacation since my honeymoon in 1997.

Has anyone eaten out for their entire vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup many of us eat out for the entire duration.

there were times, when all we had in our refrigerator @ lacabana was half and half for the coffee and iced water.

visit the culinary section for lots and lot of restaurant suggestions.
    Thanks Andrea. I have no shortage of restaurants in mind, but I've also read about all the different foods people bring/buy to prepare in condo. I do so much shopping and cooking everyday, that although eating out will cost us much, much more...I'm starting to dread the idea of cooking on vacation.

I also hate the idea of driving...some days I drive 119 miles in a day commuting to school and back. So I think I will ditch the car rental and take the bus or taxi to get around.
    Looking forward to my Aruba trip:

Aruba since 1979
    it will be hard to rack up 119 miles in a week on aruba.
    we always rent a car and drive quite a bit, but usually never put on more than 150 miles in 2 weeks

so do you cook in? do take out? delivery? eat out?

you have many options.

my husband and i alternate dinner in and dinner out.

if you hate cooking...........DON'T Cook.
    if you hate driving............DON'T.....bus or taxis are great options and both are reasonable price.

it's your vacation do what you WANT

Quote Originally Posted by darrwenn View Post
    Thanks Andrea. I have no shortage of restaurants in mind, but I've also read about all the different foods people bring/buy to prepare in condo. I do so much shopping and cooking everyday, that although eating out will cost us much, much more...I'm starting to dread the idea of cooking on vacation.

I also hate the idea of driving...some days I drive 119 miles in a day commuting to school and back. So I think I will ditch the car rental and take the bus or taxi to get around.

Boca Catalina Beach Marriott properties Mangel Halto for Snorkeling
    While I agree IN PRINCIPAL with Andrea , you may at least want to consider breakfast in the timeshare. We find that it gives us more of the day to have fun if we do a quick breakfast in the room. Dinner...... now that's a different matter altogether. As my wife would say, "the best thing we make for dinner is RESERVATIONS."

As to driving, in a week, we usually put no more than 100 miles on the car, and usually less.

Enjoy your childless vacation. We have had 2 / 3 childless vacations in Aruba. They were .

Have fun.

I find meal preferences just about as varied as political views :-) There are so many amazing restaurants to enjoy on the island . . . yet we also prefer to open a bottle of wine, turn on some music, cook a quiet meal at home, and enjoy the evening on our back patio after spending a quiet evening watching the sun set on the beach. Fresh fish from Zeerover is excellent and there is an abundance of options at Lings. It really depends on what you enjoy as a get-away . . . make your Aruba personal and enjoy to the fullest . . . Michael

First...... You didn't mention where you are staying.

If you do have a fridg and coffee maker you can have breakfast and the odd lunch in your room.
    Having some lunches out and ALL your dinners sounds great.

As you did mention. Take the bus to get some suppplies and take the taxi back.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

We always buy b-fast food (especially nice if you have early and late risers - what a pain to wait for someone to get up lol!) and some lunch food as well as "cocktail/sunset" food. We go out to dinner every night unless DH gets a wicked desire to bbq. Sometimes DH and I shop together or else he just goes with a list in hand.

We eat "out" every single meal.
    We solely use taxi transportation. The only exception being we usually rent a vehicle for one day to tour around the island.

As my dh puts it, if there is cooking on vacation it is not a vacation. LOL, even having a kitchen in the "unit" freaks him out. To him a "hotel ROOM" = VACATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda VH View Post
    We always buy b-fast food (especially nice if you have early and late risers - what a pain to wait for someone to get up lol!) and some lunch food as well as "cocktail/sunset" food. We go out to dinner every night unless DH gets a wicked desire to bbq. Sometimes DH and I shop together or else he just goes with a list in hand.
    We do the same - breakfast "in" (except an occasional outing to Linda's Pancakes) because we don't like to waste time going out to breakfast. Some lunches "in" (sandwiches that we bring to the beach), some out, and some at the beach bar (depends on our mood and where we are at the time), and a few snacks (cheese, crackers) for happy hour on the balcony. We go out every night for dinner except maybe an occasional pizza (take out or delivery) for a casual night of pizza and wine on the balcony.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast