Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Growing up on "One Happy Island"

Growing up on "One Happy Island"

Hello Everyone! I wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I stumbled into your happy place when I was researching our upcoming visit to the island - and I am so glad I did. I have gone through a lot of the posts before joining and I am so impressed by not only Andrea's consistent helpful responses, but also by all the fun and positive postings/responses by all the members. I am so happy to be a part of your community. Thanks for including me.

Now, a bit about me. I first stepped off a plane onto the island with my brother and my parents when I was just 3 years old. My father was an engineer with the refinery and he and my mom quickly brought another brother and two sisters into the world and the five of us kids spent endless hours playing in the ocean at Babys Beach and Rodgers Beach. Unfortunately, my parents didn't stay together and soon after their divorce I went o live on another island - Long Island! Yup, Aruba to New York, what a shock to the system! But the story doesn't end badly. My father remained on the Island and so my two brothers and I would spend months during the summers and between semesters while in college visiting the island. Of course this ended when the refinery closed in 1985 and my father moved off-island. One of the best memories of these trips, the thing I remember most, is when the plane doors would open and the warm Aruban air would come rushing into the plane. The smell of Aruba was so familiar to me and would welcome me with every visit.

So, I'm now planning a return to the island with my wife and daughter for next January. We've rented a bungalow out in the now more or less vacant "colony". And I'll be posting here and there to find out how best to make our stay fun. I know a LOT has changed on the island, but that's a given - I'm thanking everyone who will see my posts in advance for any help/advice you can give us.

Warmest Regards,

LagoColonySteve

ps I promise I won't be so wordy in the future

Aruba since 1979
    welcome steve!
    thanks for the kind words.

this forum is all about kindness, respect and being helpful and gracious.
    there are MANY terrific forum members.

Isle of Aruba to Long Island NY, ya what a contradiction huh?

Did your dad return back to the USA?
    When was the last time you visited Aruba?
    If you have not been backsince '85, you are in for quite a shock.

remember , wordy is GOOD.....we would love to hear of your youth growing up in the colony.

What a great story and previlage being able to spend whole summers there during college break..

Love your story, I also live on Long Island and tell people I'm supposed to be on the island of Aruba ! Lol
    hope your Family has a great trip back to Aruba and looking forward to your reports. My Family loves the area of the Colony and the history behind it .

Hello Steve. Thank you so much for sharing your story. My husband and I have been traveling to Aruba for many years. We live in upstate NY (Albany) but a piece of our heart is always back in Aruba and we always look forward to our next vacation. We have always been fascinated by the remnants of the Lago Colony down by Baby Beach. We have visited the websites that chronicle the history of this once thriving area and it is fascinating to see all the stories and pictures of the families who came to Aruba to work at the refinery and the community that was built around it. It will be vey interesting to hear your impressions when you return to the island again. I'll be watching for your posts.

For anyone on the forum who is not familiar with the Lago Colony, you can read more about it:
    http://www.lago-colony.com/STORIES_R...HISTORY_DJ.htm

Welcome. What a great story. Like Andrea said, you are in for a shock when you return. For us, even during a 5 year lapse things really changed.

Our first memory is also that warm air hitting us when the plane doors opened upon landing. It was our honeymoon, and not knowing better, I had on sweat pants and a sweatshirt. The planes now belly up to the jetway like in most airports so you don't exit onto the tarmac. However, you can still get that Aruba aroma and warm air when you exit the plane.

Hi Steve! Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum!

Wordy is good Especially if you would be so kind as to elaborate on what you remember growing up on the island to be like
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Buenos Días a todos, es un placer estar en este foro compartiendo la experiencias vividas en esta maravillosa isla. Es fascinante la amabilidad que tienen. Ya he ido en dos ocasiones y ha sido la mejor experiencia, por la alegría, tranquilidad y paz que transmiten. Sin duda alguna siempre tengo en cuenta para mis próximas vacaciones a esta isla feliz que es Aruba.
    La primera vez que fui lo que mas me llamo la atención y me encanto fue que aun no habíamos aterrizado cuando se veía desde lo alto dos cruceros, esas aguas cristalinas del mar y la alegría que se trasmitía....

Aruba since 1979
    welcome donna

can anyone translate?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Buenos Días a todos, es un placer estar en este foro compartiendo la experiencias vividas en esta maravillosa isla. Es fascinante la amabilidad que tienen. Ya he ido en dos ocasiones y ha sido la mejor experiencia, por la alegría, tranquilidad y paz que transmiten. Sin duda alguna siempre tengo en cuenta para mis próximas vacaciones a esta isla feliz que es Aruba.
    La primera vez que fui lo que mas me llamo la atención y me encanto fue que aun no habíamos aterrizado cuando se veía desde lo alto dos cruceros, esas aguas cristalinas del mar y la alegría que se trasmitía....

Translated online:

"Good morning everyone, it is a pleasure to be in this forum sharing experiences in this wonderful island. It's fascinating kindness they have. I've been twice and has been the best experience, joy, peace and tranquility they transmit. Undoubtedly always have in mind for my next vacation to this happy island is Aruba.The first time was what most caught my attention and I loved was not yet had landed when looked from the top two cruisers, these crystal clear sea and the joy that was transmitted"

Welcome to the forum Daniella!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast