Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: H1N1 in Aruba

H1N1 in Aruba

From Amigoe.com/english

Mexican influenza rapidly spreading on Aruba
    6 Jul, 2009, 10:13 (GMT -04:00)

Email dit artikel
    Print dit artikel
    ORANJESTAD — Directorate Public Health announced yesterday that there were twelve new contamination cases of the AH1N1 virus. Aruba now has 25 registered cases of infected persons. Moreover, children under the age of 15 years are not allowed into the hospitals for the time being, now that a co-worker of the children’s section has possibly contracted the influenza as well as three children of that section. Furthermore, the visitors’ hours have been restricted.
    Moreover, it was announced that there was a case of another infection source. Of the twelve new cases, only one had direct contact with the infected athletes during the volleyball tournament in Trinidad.
    Of the other eleven persons, it is unknown how the influenza spread. The twelve infected people are isolated at home and have slight flu symptoms.
    According to epidemiologist Maribel Tromp, all infected persons are residents of the island. The virus is currently spreading without the government even knowing where it exactly comes from. “The reason why it is spreading so rapidly is that it concerns a very mild form of influenza. People not even aware of having contracted the Mexican influenza are therefore spreading the virus at work or in other public areas”, according to Tromp. There are namely other flu viruses, which show the same symptoms, such as the Rhinovirus, as well as the usual flu.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    how foolish was i thinking that aruba was immune to it?

another thing about the flu..........those cases that are documented/verified are from those that have sought medical help. how many cases have there been unreported around the world...........the folks that did not seek medical assistance?

andrea

andrea

Banned
    I haven't heard of any recent developments on Aruba, it seems they're not reporting anything anymore. I think the last news was from 1 month ago, when we had 30 cases here on Aruba.

Anyway, I got ill 2 days ago, common flu symptoms, might be H1N1, might be not. It seems to be a pretty light flu though, since I'm feeling a bit better today already and not planning to get Tamiflu or whatever, I'm sure I'll be completely better in a few days. Still, I find it 'interesting' that Aruba seemed to have banned the 'H1N1' word, maybe they're afraid of losing tourists ?

Aruba since 1979
    hahaha how could they have banned the H1N1 word?

only a fraction of the H1N1 are documented.
    what's the point of documentation now?
    pretty certain is if it looks, acts, smells, tastes like the flu......this time of yr it is H1N1.

when schools go back soon (some parts of the usa they are already back) there are going to be huge issues with this flu.

everyone WASH your hands
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaMan View Post
    I haven't heard of any recent developments on Aruba, it seems they're not reporting anything anymore. I think the last news was from 1 month ago, when we had 30 cases here on Aruba.

Anyway, I got ill 2 days ago, common flu symptoms, might be H1N1, might be not. It seems to be a pretty light flu though, since I'm feeling a bit better today already and not planning to get Tamiflu or whatever, I'm sure I'll be completely better in a few days. Still, I find it 'interesting' that Aruba seemed to have banned the 'H1N1' word, maybe they're afraid of losing tourists ?

FWIW, I went and looked through the archives of Amigoe and did see that a good percentage of their news has been dedicated to their upcoming island elections.

Aruba since 1979
    is the AMIGOE just hurting for space ,placing election stuff in and not much room for anything else?andrea

hat a good percentage of their news has been dedicated to their upcoming island elections. [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    is the AMIGOE just hurting for space ,placing election stuff in and not much room for anything else?andrea
    From what I understand, Aruba's parliamentary elections are a REALLY big deal.
    Pehaps Daniel can elaborate.
    Thinking back, besides the U.S. economy, I am sure that the Presidential election dominated our news 1 month and a few weeks prior to our election.

If I remember correctly, most Aruban's are given at least a partial day of, if not the whole day to vote.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7