Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Harbor Master's House

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is a real treasure, a huge collection of photos and information from way back then, like the 40s, 50s, 60s etc

http://www.lago-colony.com/

What caught my attention: Here is some info about a Harbor Master who lived in the Colony (should be San Nicolas area):

Clyde Harms writes:
    Mr. Bree's picture showing the retiring Harbormaster NOOT and his entire staff.
    Maarten Noot retired in 1954, not in 1953. The picture was also taken in 1954 at the Oranjestad harbor. See Esso News July 31, 1954. The Noot's were our neighbors until he retired. He was the first harbor pilot in Aruba, and later became the first Harbor Master. Around 1948 he was stationed in the colony.

http://www.lago-colony.com/VAN_BREE/jan_van_bree.htm

CK1
    Where I struggle: I'm not sure where the Queen's residence was/is:

Could it be at the Governor's residence, across from Wilhelmina Park (across from the restaurant "West Deck")?
    Behind the Governor's residence is Julianastraat, I believe there was a school named Juliana School.

Here is a great map:

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.5168544,-70.0329409,17z

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Where I struggle: I'm not sure where the Queen's residence was/is:

Could it be at the Governor's residence, across from Wilhelmina Park (across from the restaurant "West Deck")?
    Behind the Governor's residence is Julianastraat, I believe there was a school named Juliana School.
    Thank you very much for the research you have done, in particular the Largo Colony link. My grandfather was a pilot there before moving to Oranjestad - I never expected such a rich vein of material.

You may be right about the location, but I am going to guess it is one of the buildings just north on Maria Christinastaat street - maybe the one sandwhiched in-between Christinastaat and Christinastaat. You could see the building from the front door. The school is in about the right location. Perhaps I am confusing the "Queen's Residence" with "This is where the Queen stayed when she visited". Sigh, old faded memories.

Once again, thank you very much.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_686 View Post
    Thank you very much for the research you have done, in particular the Largo Colony link. My grandfather was a pilot there before moving to Oranjestad - I never expected such a rich vein of material.

You may be right about the location, but I am going to guess it is one of the buildings just north on Maria Christinastaat street - maybe the one sandwhiched in-between Christinastaat and Christinastaat. You could see the building from the front door. The school is in about the right location. Perhaps I am confusing the "Queen's Residence" with "This is where the Queen stayed when she visited". Sigh, old faded memories.

Once again, thank you very much.
    You are most welcome, Alex! I'm excited and happy for you that some of the info is helpful. Wished I could have found more on the location of the residence.

We have a forum member named "Charles" who was born in Aruba and lives there, he is very knowledgeable.
    Here are some snippets what he wrote in case you are interested:
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f40/

Aruba since 1979
    i messaged charles , sent him the link to this thread and hope he replies.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i messaged charles , sent him the link to this thread and hope he replies.
    Thanks, Andrea!
    Wouldn't it be nice to get some of those childhood memories back.

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    Here's shot in the dark. Maybe when you are there take a visit to the "Survey Division" of the Government. They may have old maps and records going back that far that would indicate location of Government buildings, etc. Or if your relative "owned" the property maybe some reference in a book of record sales. Here in the States land transfers are recorded in the respective State, County, Municipal Hall of Records. I remember back in 2001 that a group of us Land Surveyors from NJ were there for some R&R and we cold visited the Survey Office and they were surprised that we would even think of visiting but they were more than gracious and showed us how they did things in Aruba as opposed to the States. A bunch of real nice guys. It's another avenue to explore.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZOO-2 View Post
    Here's shot in the dark. Maybe when you are there take a visit to the "Survey Division" of the Government. They may have old maps and records going back that far that would indicate location of Government buildings, etc. Or if your relative "owned" the property maybe some reference in a book of record sales.
    Maybe. The issue here is that I am pretty sure that the house that they lived in were owned by the oil company and the colonial administration.

But this does open up a good line of questioning. What other resources can I turn too? They did not arrive in the US until the 1950s, so I am going to have to wait until 2022 to get hold of that data. Is there something analogous for Aruba? Following CK1's link I found a old phone book which had my grandfather's phone number but not his address.

Are there any online resources that I could dig into? Have old newspapers been put online?

Once again, thanks to everybody. I think we are kind of hitting the logical end of this thread. I will post if I can find anything definitive with my research.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_686 View Post
    Maybe. The issue here is that I am pretty sure that the house that they lived in were owned by the oil company and the colonial administration.

But this does open up a good line of questioning. What other resources can I turn too? They did not arrive in the US until the 1950s, so I am going to have to wait until 2022 to get hold of that data. Is there something analogous for Aruba? Following CK1's link I found a old phone book which had my grandfather's phone number but not his address.

Are there any online resources that I could dig into? Have old newspapers been put online?

Once again, thanks to everybody. I think we are kind of hitting the logical end of this thread. I will post if I can find anything definitive with my research.
    Maybe Charles can think of something, sometimes it takes a bit to mull over something.
    At least, he is aware of the topic.

Another possibility might be this FB site, it seems to me, lots of locals from Aruba are posting there. I saw some very beautiful, vintage photos there as well. Maybe someone remembers those old times or knows of someone who does:

https://www.facebook.com/NosDushiAruba

CK1
    Here is a very nice article in "The Morning News Aruba" which also includes some cute photos.
    How special that those "Lagoites" meet occasionally on Aruba for organized reunions. Maybe there will be another reunion?

Maybe some names sound familiar?

Welcome back to Lago High School class of ’66

On 23 Sep, 2013 At 08:15 PM | Categorized As Aruba, Local | With 0 Comments

http://themorningnewsaruba.com/2013/...l-class-of-66/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast