Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Harbor Master's House

Hi All,Grand Pa then lived in the buildig that is shown by CK!. The Minster of tourism that occupied the building was the honorable Minister Tico Croes. I have been in it many times and always found it both interesting and eerie. The carpenters that did the remodeling, also found it had a funny feel about it.

Who knows, perhaps there is more than meets the eye in regards to that building.

be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Aruba since 1979
    charles to the rescue thanks dear friend.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thank you so much, Charles! It's really appreciated!

Stop saying thank you and send money!!! HA HA HA - You are most welcome.
    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

Quote Originally Posted by charles View Post
    Hi All,Grand Pa then lived in the buildig that is shown by CK!. The Minster of tourism that occupied the building was the honorable Minister Tico Croes. I have been in it many times and always found it both interesting and eerie. The carpenters that did the remodeling, also found it had a funny feel about it.

Who knows, perhaps there is more than meets the eye in regards to that building.

be well
    charles
    Charles,

Thank you very much for confirming what CK1 said. I have to admit the picture does not look like what I remember. I remember something where the front was narrow, not wide. Plus I remember brick. However, this was at least 2 remodels ago plus memories from 30 years ago. We all know how the mind plays tricks.

CK1, thanks for school reunion post but alas it kind of missed the mark. My mother has some bitter memories when it comes to that school. All the neighbor kids went to that school except for her and her sister. The school at Largo was for "Americans" which she was not. My Grandfather was Dutch and thus a native. So the sisters would have to get up early every morning to take the public bus to Oranjestad. Apparently the only other people taking the bus at that time were woman of ill repute. It was a bit lonely for her. She did not attend school with the other children and was of a lower social rank because she was only a native and not a American. Now, my grandmother was American and they spoke English at home but that counted for little.

Which is why the house in Oranjestad was such a big deal - the happiest time of her life. My grandfather got a promotion, WWII was over so he no longer had to dodge torpedoes striking oil tankers, and she could walk to school. Plus she could have her school friends over. Apparently having native girls visit Largo was discouraged - I am not sure if this was formal or informal.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Alex, I'm glad that with the help of Charles and everyone else some of your questions could be answered. I think we all went through good and bad times. But at the end, we cherish those childhood memories.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123