Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Has anyone thought about using walkie talkies in Aruba?

Has anyone thought about using walkie talkies in Aruba?

When checking out one of the electronics stores (from Aruba) website, I noticed that they sell walkie talkies.
    I was thinking. Cell phone service is expensive in Aruba and it is a very small island. I wonder if using walkie talkies for communication would be practical?

Has anyone thought of this or tried it?

Aruba since 1979
    We had a very good set of walkie talkies and used them in aruba once or twice years ago. Reception wasn't great and lots of interference. In today's day of cell and texting they are pretty much an antiquity.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    When checking out one of the electronics stores (from Aruba) website, I noticed that they sell walkie talkies.
    I was thinking. Cell phone service is expensive in Aruba and it is a very small island. I wonder if using walkie talkies for communication would be practical?

Aruba since 1979
    and here is an old thread re: walkie talkies

click link below
    walkie talkie

Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    In today's day of cell and texting they are pretty much an antiquity.
    That's true.

My wife and I aren't separated with the need to communicate very often. If she takes the car to go to the store, a Walkie wouldn't reach. I believe they are limited in their usefulness, being useful around your timeshare/hotel only.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    We often traveled to Aruba with walkie talkies. We were able to communicate with them with our daughters and relatives. The range was from Renn suites to downtown area around Hong King.

We tried the walkie talkie route a few years ago and kept finding we had a lot of interference with the housekeeping staff and security. Now we use cell phones on air plane mode with WiFi and a free texting app called Pinger. You can buy one of those Setar internet cards to get Wifi access or if you know your way around you can find some free wifi. For instance I know when I am at the beach at LaCabana if I walk towards Amsterdam Manor I can get wifi to send a text.

LOL, I don't know much about much of anything, but know zip about walkie talkies.

We have fairly inexpensive walkie talkies and they were not worth lugging. Maybe high end wt's have further range and less interference?

Perhaps a long range pair of walkie talkies (perhaps ham) would work well?

http://www.nationaltwowayradio.com/s...FcOe4Aod9QMADw

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    "...I don't know much about much of anything..."
    Lisa you are way too modest, just for starter I think that you know more than 1 thing or 2 about Aruba....
    Last edited by qlaval; 08-31-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Pierre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast