Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Help with Fedex

Help with Fedex

hey everyone, i have a problem and i would like some help

i ordered a phone online that cost me 490 dollars, so that is 857 awg
    it arrived on june 19th and i went to the fedex office and they told me they needed the bill for the phone..so i provided them with the bill
    then they told me it will not clear until wed june 26th !!!

so me knowing the process (i order stuff online threw aruba mail all the time ) i offered to take the paper work to telecommunication aruba so it does not that much time ( i really wanted my new phone asap) ..first they told me it will cost me 50 awg to give me the papers(same papers you get from aruba mail to take to the telecommunication office) ..then they called me back and told me i can come pick up the papers the next day in the morning
    so i went next day to fedex office and then to the telecommunication office, got everything done there and went back to the fedex office
    they told me at fedex office that they cant release the package yet because the customs officer has to look at it ...
    feeling defeated i just decided to wait until 26ths (Even tho i paid more then 70 dollars to ship it to aruba express !and only took 2 days to get from euro ! )
    today i get message from fedex in the mail saying i owe 174 awg in taxes so for 490 dollar phone im paying 100 dollars !! that is some where around 20 percent ...i thought the tax for phones was 12 percent ? i should be paying around 60 dollars

i know 40 dollars is not the biggest deal in the world ....but i feel like im being toyed with or being scammed and i dont like that at all

everywhere i look online and on the forum i see its 12 percent for cellphones ...i even looked at import draft 2013 pdf and in that it also says 12 percent

so now my question is who should speak to ? is there a customs office ? should i just go to aruba mail and ask them (because i know they always have customs officers in the back ) or should i go back to the telecommunication office?

thanks for your help in advance
    Last edited by dr.mess; 06-25-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Not a clue.
    I sent your post along to a few people that may be able to give me answer to point you in the right direction.

Use UPS. Simple, straight forward and good advise.
    be well
    charles
    THERE ARE PLACES TO SEE - STORIES TO TELL
    IMAGES TO HARNESS - AND MORE STORIES ON caribbean.tv
    be well
    charles

so i finely figured it out

so i was right the tax is 12 percent and it would be 60 dollars in taxes
    BUT fedex also charges almost 40 dollars in charges ..tax paper processing fee (yup same papers you get free from aruba post ) and when i asked them how come they charge so much, the lady answered "well some places charge 50 plus dollars" ...and when i asked what if i did not want to pay the 40 dollars ...she replied " we will send the phone back to the original sender and charge him for shipping again And extra fees " so basically they take your package as a hostage lol

anyways from how rude they were to me and the way they like to add extra charges for no good reason im going to stay clear away from them and use UPS(like charles said) OR aruba post

Aruba since 1979
    yikes
    that is unfortunate indeed

how is the phone working? hope it is terrific and you do not need another one for years!!

QUOTE=dr.mess;246019]so i finely figured it out

BUT fedex also charges almost 40 dollars in charges ..tax paper processing fee (yup same papers you get free from aruba post ) and when i asked them how come they charge so much, the lady answered "well some places charge 50 plus dollars" ...and when i asked what if i did not want to pay the 40 dollars ...she replied " we will send the phone back to the original sender and charge him for shipping again And extra fees " so basically they take your package as a hostage lol

anyways from how rude they were to me and the way they like to add extra charges for no good reason im going to stay clear away from them and use UPS(like charles said) OR aruba post[/QUOTE]

lol or just buy it it in here in aruba ..after taxis, fees and extra charges it turned out about the same price, maybe saves less then 50 dollars

but im happy with the phone and thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yikes
    that is unfortunate indeed

how is the phone working? hope it is terrific and you do not need another one for years!!

QUOTE=dr.mess;246019]so i finely figured it out

anyways from how rude they were to me and the way they like to add extra charges for no good reason im going to stay clear away from them and use UPS(like charles said) OR aruba post
    [/QUOTE]