Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help needed!!

Junior Member NobodyInteresting's Avatar

Help needed!!

First of all I would like to say we are loving aruba after our first day, what a place! Just a slight problem. Where can I buy a voltage converter? We are from the UK and my girlfriends hair dryer or straighteners don't work. We are getting married next Monday and she needs to do her hair.

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't the place you're staying have a hair dryer? You will probably be better off buying new stuff than a converter, try Certified. Besides, you'll have the stuff for the next time you visit Aruba.

Yeah we have a dryer but it's the straighteners she would like to use. Don't understand as we never had a problem in St Lucia, Cuba or the states last year.

Aruba since 1979
    check the true value section in certified as walt suggested.
    let us know how you make out

Is the certified got the Ali baba in it? We tried that this morning and was no good.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Maybe ask at the place where you are staying if they have a converter which you could borrow.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You've got to be able to pick up a cheap hairdryer somewhere honestly

How bout your wedding planner?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I just googled and found some useful info on Tripadviser. There are several comments.
    Here is one which stood out:

3. Re: Using UK Appliances In Aruba?

Mar 20, 2011, 6:14 AM

IF her appliance is not dual-voltage (110-240V), she will need a voltage transformer, which would have to be pretty big and heavy to handle the wattage of many hair straighteners (especially if it's a GHD or similar).
    If it IS dual-voltage then she will only need a UK-to-US plug adaptor.
    In either case, however, it will NOT heat up as much with the lesser voltage in Aruba.

Just a comment (and just my opinion): between swimming, sweating, and the wind, your friend would probably wash her hair everyday -- so she would spend so much time straightening it, too (and less time at Happy Hour). Whereas you can get nice effects with a little mousse or gel, and a few strokes of a hairdryer (which all hotels provide), OR just tying your hair into a ponytail or braids. So I would consider leaving the straightener at home.

And I agree with stranieri_divertenti: Aruba is very relaxed and casual; it's very rare to see people dolled or dressed up unless they are attending a wedding.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ach_Aruba.html

Is there a Plan B? In case if the hair straightener does not work as well as it's supposed to be?

As it's a very special day for your girlfriend (and you), she should be happy with the way her hair looks. I remember reading posts here on this forum from brides-to-be who discussed her hair, how to style it for their wedding etc as it's so very windy on Aruba. Maybe it's an option to have her hair "tamed" in a gorgeous way by tying it into a pony tail or on the side, adding some flowers or other decorative items? Here are some ideas:

https://www.pinterest.com/karenremax...wedding-ideas/

One more thought about where to get a voltage converter:
    Maybe ask at the big hotels if they have them for their guests from the UK? And if you could borrow it (leaving a deposit).

How about on the BIG day you set up an appointment at the Hairdressers and let them take care of your future wife. I am sure she will love you for it.
    Next Aruba trip in

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Yep! Love this and totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by angelone View Post
    How about on the BIG day you set up an appointment at the Hairdressers and let them take care of your future wife. I am sure she will love you for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast