Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Here now....question

Here now....question

Hi, so it wouldn't be a family vacation without someone getting sick. My daughter has a possible ear infection. In a lot of pain. Is the hospital my only option to get it checked out? Staying at LaCabana. Thanks!!

Aruba since 1979
    you could check with lacabana to contact the house physician on your behalf

hospital, yes .........get receipts in ENGLISH to submit to your insurance once you get home.
    but first, go to the pharmacy on the road near the hospital....ask the pharmacist what she/he recommends?

then, follow what your gut says. (my gut says decongestant and ibuprofen....how old is she?)

chances are the pharmacist will be able to recommend an ENT.

also JACKI (pm her) her sons had ear infections a year ago at lacabana and she may be able to give you advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Hi, so it wouldn't be a family vacation without someone getting sick. My daughter has a possible ear infection. In a lot of pain. Is the hospital my only option to get it checked out? Staying at LaCabana. Thanks!!

Good advice, Andrea. I second basically everything you advised. Pharmacy or house doctor good first steps.

in the event that you ultimately are prescribed an antibiotic of some sort ask for one that is not photosensitive if possible. Many antibiotics cause photosensitivity, which is a fancy word for saying that they make you very sensitive to sun exposure, very bad if in Aruba.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Thank you both! She's 10. I didn't even know there was an in house doctor. I looked for Abraham but didn't see him today. Never considered photosensitivity, so glad you mentioned it.

NO, NO, Urgent Care in Noord open 24 hours a day. 1. More than half the price, provides insurance accepted receipts and 150% less wait time than ER or House Doctor. Dr. Yagua Fingal. EDIT: Sorry, Less than half the price... Common Core Math messing with my English.
    Last edited by photosbyjulia; 08-26-2014 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by photosbyjulia View Post
    NO, NO, Urgent Care in Noord open 24 hours a day. Less than half the price...
    Thanks for this advice, great information for all of us on the Forum.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    excellent julia! i had no idea there was now an urgent care in NOORD.

If memory serves me correctly, Urgent Care has been open for about one year. It is a new building and it is only about a one minute drive from my home. They also have a fairly good website. http://www.urgentcare.aw/main/

Good to know! Thanks!

Gretch - this is from My Aruba Story last year:
    I went to the pharmacy by the hospital asking for a swimmer's ear kit or glycerin oil. The very nice gentleman suggested I go to the Dr around the corner. I went back & got the boys and went to Dr. S. Cabenda. He was on his way out to lunch and stopped to look at my kids - NO asking for insurance, NO asking if I can pay, No asking for ID - just interesting in taking care of my babies. That calmed my nerves. He did suction in their ears and was amazing with them - kind, gentle, awesome. They each have a double infection in their left ear - canal & skin infections. No more swimming for the rest of vacation. Went out to reception, gave their full names and where we are staying and got the prescriptions for antibiotics in pill & drop form. Went to pharmacy and 'script was filled within 15 minutes...for $20. Wow we get screwed in the states!
    Hope your daughter is feeling better!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

THANK YOU!! I knew I turned to the right place!!! I can't thank you all enough. It got worse overnight but then she fell asleep and is still sleeping. Ooops, scratch that. I hear her crying. Off we go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast