Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question High Speed and Secure Internet Access

A couple want to go to Aruba with us this year but the husband MUST have high speed and secure internet access for 1 day for work. We are staying at Divi timeshare. Does anyone know of high speed and secure access near there?

We have found the WIFI at the Divi/Tamarijn to be spotty at best. My husband requires it for work as well and opts to work very early in the a.m. and later at night for best speeds and connection. We have also found only the rooms closest to the lobby receive a signal.

www.aruba.com/forum/f18/finally-made-46960/#post181816
    this person detailed his experience, he was staying at either the Divi Village or Dutch Village

The only other option is Setar. On the hotspot list Casa del Mar and Certified Megamall will be the closest to where you are at.

http://www.wifi-aruba.com/
    http://www.wifi-aruba.com/hotspots.php

Aruba since 1979
    are the wifi hot spots secure?

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Which Divi are you staying at? We stayed at Divi Village in Feb. They didn't have any internet. Their website stated that they were supposed to have dial up in the units, but when we got there, we were told that it hadn't been installed yet, but would be installed any day (ha... that's on Aruba time). I met people who had been there for 3 months and were told that same story. Every day, a group of people gathered on a porch outside an office and tried to pick up a signal. Sometimes we could get on, sometimes we got nothing. Sometimes we would be in the middle of an email and would get kicked off. Some of the emails I thought went through ended up in outer space. Hopefully, they have resolved this problem by now.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Sometimes we could get on, sometimes we got nothing. Sometimes we would be in the middle of an email and would get kicked off. Some of the emails I thought went through ended up in outer space. Hopefully, they have resolved this problem by now.
    Evidently not according to damnyankeeuk who was just there for two weeks.

I just read about a week ago on the other forum that Divi has it's own service provider and that the management announces to everyone upon check-in that the internet is having "issues" right now and that there is no guaranteed service. This is despite paying $50 for the privilege for a week. Apparently the Dvi properties have a totally different provider than all the other resorts/hotels (but I can't find any info on who that is). There is no estimated time of when this will be resolved.
    Like Lisa says, the other option is to buy a $35 internet card from Setar which is the largest and main cell and Wifi provider in Aruba and use that from its many hotspots. If your friend is willing to take his laptop or other internet device to one of the WiFi hotspots during that day he needs it, he will get good internet reception and save $15 for the week.
    *Since I'm a newbie, I am only quoting what I have read on the various forums so please feel free to correct/add to what I have posted.

Aruba since 1979
    the wifi setar connection here at ABC is good.
    the wifi setar connection at the cdm ambassador building was good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    I just read about a week ago on the other forum that Divi has it's own service provider
    My dh was told by Tamarijn/Divi that it was their own network, in other words, they were their own provider. We never minded paying the $50/week for the connection. His employer does not reimburse him.

LOL, if we were there right now he would be spending a lot of time with Andrea and Paul at ABC paying for Setar's hotspot connection.

If you need a connection you need it. Either way even at $50 a week it is cheaper than connecting on a cruise ship!

Thanks for all your infomation folks, but as I understand it (and I'm a real dummy on this) but he doesn"t want Wi Fi, he wants to plug in his laptop to a service that is both fast and secure. (this is to run and send out a report)

Aruba since 1979
    the funny thing is i bought the setar plan..............$70 for 2 weeks to 4 weeks.
    the strongest signal i am picking up here is the manchebo signal.
    the setar signal at abc must be a tiny bit weaker than manchebo.
    it is listed as "Broadband manchebo locked"
    i do not have to enter any password.
    bizarre

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast