• 1 Post By vallond
  • 1 Post By aquaman
  • 2 Post By CK1
  • 1 Post By aquaman

Thread: Historically Speaking

Aruba since 1979

Historically Speaking

http://www.noticiacla.com/news/5065

My translator/friend gave me this brief translation.
    I know Aquaman is an Aruba history buff.
    He may be able to add more info.

74 years ago today, German U-boat 156 launched against Aruba under the command of the Third Reich. The Oranjestad and Pedernales were torpedoed and the Oranjestad sunk. The Pedernales did not. The mid section still sits in front of the Holiday Inn as a dive site. The fore and aft sections were refashioned and were used as troop transport during the Storming of Normandy. Noticialcla has some great shots.The Germans also landed a torpedo on Eagle Beach by the old refinery. Lives were lost during the attempt to disarm it.For such a small island, we had a place in WWII history.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-16-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    http://www.noticiacla.com/news/5065

My translator/friend gave me this brief translation.
    I know Aquaman is an Aruba history buff.
    He may be able to add more info.

74 years ago today, German U-boat 156 launched against Aruba under the command of the Third Reich. The Oranjestad and Pedernales were torpedoed and the Oranjestad sunk. The Pedernales did not. The mid section still sits in front of the Holiday Inn as a dive site. The fore and aft sections were refashioned and were used as troop transport during the Storming of Normandy. Noticialcla has some great shots.The Germans also landed a torpedo on Eagle Beach by the old refinery. Lives were lost during the attempt to disarm it.For such a small island, we had a place in WWII history.
    This is correct. The Noticia article is much more in depth. It was prepared in conjunction with Mr Dufi Kock, a local historian with whom I have worked. Together we collaborated in producing 2 books. 1 on the sinking of the Antilla and the other on the Torpedo Incident at Eagle Beach.

There ia actually a lot of history in Aruba. Some very fascinating. Unfortunately it does not get much exposure as it would in the US or Canada

There were significant contributions during WWII by an Aruban who fought in the Dutch Resistance

i wonder how many tourists have ever visited where the gun placements are at the South end of the Island. These are up a hill and point out toward Venezuela and could be positioned toward the Atlantic. While the guns are gone, the tracks remain

I remember learning about the Antilla on my first visit to Aruba, gotta say that the German crew made the right decision when it came to choosing to leave Aruban waters and head back to Germany, or surrender and be interned for the duration of the war on Bonaire. I wonder if there are any living members of the crew of the Antilla? Would love to hear their recollection of events leading up to the sinking, and their time on Bonaire.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    I remember learning about the Antilla on my first visit to Aruba, gotta say that the German crew made the right decision when it came to choosing to leave Aruban waters and head back to Germany, or surrender and be interned for the duration of the war on Bonaire. I wonder if there are any living members of the crew of the Antilla? Would love to hear their recollection of events leading up to the sinking, and their time on Bonaire.
    Vallond.....while they were initially sent to Bon Aire, they were shipped off to Jamaica where they spent the rest of the war in a British camp. The ship was scuttled in May 1940...some 76 years ago. Not sure there are any survivors from the crew but there are descendants living on the Island. An interesting fact...when researching the materials for the book, including info from the Dutch Naval Archives, we were unable to find a single photo of the Captain Ferdinand Schmit. Very strange given his list in the German Merchant Marine and the scuttling

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Here is an interesting article:

True story of es. Antilla (1939) and her crew

https://willemsubmerged.wordpress.com/2009/03/02/true-story-of-e-s-antilla-1939-and-her-crew/

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    And a lot of Aruba's history can be found here:

http://www.lago-colony.com/

There is a Movietone newsreel ( Story 42020) that includes footage after the U Boat attack. Shows burning oil along the coast at St Nicolaas. Register at Movietone.com and you will be able to watch it and hear the commentary