Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Home rental robbery

Mango Halto, East Coast jeep riding, Palm Beach

Home rental robbery

We have rented a very nice home in Malmok numerous times. Our friends just rented it again last week. While at dinner the home was broken into. The home had an alarm system and the police were there when they returned. One safe was completely ripped from wall and taken and another safe that was anchored to concrete was still there but damaged. They lost 2 laptops, iPad, 2 cell phones, jewelry, money, and one couples passports. The police were very helpful the next day getting them through customs. This home has now been broken into twice in the last year.

As I know this happens everywhere it is so sad to happen in such a nice open area. We have another home rented for a week this coming summer just down the street. We really enjoy renting homes but this is now making us think about staying at Palm or Eagle Beach in a resort.

I feel very sorry for the property owners. It must be very frustrating

We are so sorry to hear about your robbery. What luck the house had an alarm to help out. Im sure this thread will create alot of buzz with this forum. Thanks for keeping this community well informed to be extra careful.
    Sean and Susan

Are these homes in a gated community?

No this is right in front of Catalina Cove, Malmok, and BocaCatalina.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip-planner View Post
    As I know this happens everywhere it is so sad to happen in such a nice open area. We have another home rented for a week this coming summer just down the street. We really enjoy renting homes but this is now making us think about staying at Palm or Eagle Beach in a resort.

Very sad and you are correct, I'm sure it happens everywhere
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip-planner View Post
    We have rented a very nice home in Malmok numerous times. Our friends just rented it again last week. While at dinner the home was broken into. The home had an alarm system and the police were there when they returned. One safe was completely ripped from wall and taken and another safe that was anchored to concrete was still there but damaged. They lost 2 laptops, iPad, 2 cell phones, jewelry, money, and one couples passports. The police were very helpful the next day getting them through customs. This home has now been broken into twice in the last year.

That's exactly what thieves are after. We discussed this in another thread.

So sorry that your friend had to go though this.

Is this getting out of hand? I am not sure.

Crime does happen everywhere, but there is a breaking point where it starts hurting tourism. As much as we would have liked to try it, I know our family would have to think long and hard about renting a villa due to these robberies.

It also deters people from buying investment/vacation properties on the island. I know my father asked me my opinion on possibly investing on the island and I told him no based upon what is written here and elsewhere. How cool would it have been to have family owning property on the island? But not at these kinds of risks.

I own a home in Aruba and I also rent it to vacationers. I firmly believe it is safe to rent a home if the following precautions are taken by both the renter and home owner.

Things for the home owner to consider:

- Don’t list the exact address of your rental home on any of the rental websites such as Homeaway or VRBO.
    - Don’t plot your rental home on any public mapping software.

If the owner does list there location on a map or list the exact address, the criminal can also have access to the rental/availability calendars on your website. You can list the location in a general area. If you receive a rental inquiry, you can than send that person a link to a Google map. This way, you have at least an email address of the inquiry just in case something does happen in the future.

Things for the renter to consider:

- When picking up your rental car in Aruba, do not give them the exact address of the rental home. Either provide them a hotel or an address that is close to where you are staying. (This might be the weakest link in the puzzle). (When I come to Aruba, I never give the rental car company our exact address).
    - It is extremely important for the renter to utilize the security features that the rental home should have, such as security door shutters, outdoor motion sensors, lighting, etc. (You can have the best security system in the world, but it is useless if it is not used).

As tasteless as this may seem, it is my job as a home owner, to make my home less attractive to burglarize than my neighbors. This can be accomplished by just adding a multiple layer of security features such having a securely fenced property, bright lighting, outdoor motion sensors connected to the alarm system, security doors, internet cameras, etc. The trick to this is to have the security features blend into the environment and not have your home look like a prison.

The above is just my two cents worth of 24.5 years of law enforcement experience in the largest department in New Jersey. Even with my experience, my home in Aruba was burglarized in Aruba in 2009. Since that time, I have made many changes and additions in my security and have been crime free ever since. I have also made friends with the local police and they do check on my property during their normal patrol duties.

Awesome post and advice - thanks David!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The maids, lawn care, and pool service people can't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast