Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How did 1st time Aruba travelers decide on Aruba?

I think I may have told this story already but I'll tell it again (ugh, I'm now THAT uncle...):

We were seriously considering buying a place in the south of Spain... we absolutely LOVE the Mediterranean and the winters are mild. The real estate market was a train wreck all over the world (this was 2009) and property was cheap everywhere.

We ultimately decided that the logistics and time change of getting from to Toronto to Spain were too arduous and opted to look in North America at the usual haunts: Florida, Arizona and California. But... the weather was dodgy in Florida (hurricanes and not always warm), Arizona wasn't getting good reviews from friends and a colleague said about about Palm Springs, "...sometimes you still need a sweater at night..." Um, no.

So I Google'd "great weather no hurricanes" and the ABCs came up.

Immediately booked a trip to Aruba (we almost started with Curacao) and the rest is history. We knew the minute we stepped on the tarmac that this was it. No need to hit B & C.

Andrea: I can't even imagine trying to do all this without the Internet (i.e. in the 70s).

For my 50th birthday in 2006, I wanted to go someplace exotic and an island. The only "islands" I had been up to that point were the Bahamas, Martha's Vineyard, and Key West. I wasn't keen on Mexico or Dominican Republic (heard too many horror stories) or Bermuda. I began my research and stumbled upon cheapcaribbean.com. Found an awesome deal for Aruba. The rest is history. I've been twice since. With my 60th birthday rolling around next year, I'm hoping to get back and recreate the birthday experience of 10 years ago. Fingers crossed!!

My first visit was simple. In May 1997 we flew out to visit my wife's family. My sister in law and her husband gave me a tour the first day, Hooiberg was our first stop and Arashi was our second. I had never seen anything like it. We stayed at our families house on Belgiestraat street. Most of the following visits we stayed at the Radisson.

Every time we visit I have new experiences and love it more. I won't be coming back any time soon due to life realities but I eventually will, and it is my dream to just stay there someday

Aruba since 1979
    oh no, the uncle that tells the same "war stories " over and over OR the creepy uncle ?
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I think I may have told this story already but I'll tell it again (ugh, I'm now THAT uncle...):

Lighthouse, Tiera Del Sol, Palm Beach, Baby Beach
    A friend who was part timing as a travel agent suggested it to us back in 95. It was the last full family vacation before son when on to college the next year. Stayed at LaCabana for originally 5 nights, loved it so much we added two more nights and changed our flight back. That was cheap back then, it only cost me $100 for four of us on Air Aruba. Remember them? It's been an annual trip since 2000 with maybe one no go a few years back.

Aruba since 1979
    ahhhh Air Aruba LOVED that airline
    Quote Originally Posted by MAZOO-2 View Post
    A friend who was part timing as a travel agent suggested it to us back in 95. It was the last full family vacation before son when on to college the next year. Stayed at LaCabana for originally 5 nights, loved it so much we added two more nights and changed our flight back. That was cheap back then, it only cost me $100 for four of us on Air Aruba. Remember them? It's been an annual trip since 2000 with maybe one no go a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    oh no, the uncle that tells the same "war stories " over and over OR the creepy uncle ?
    Uncle Inappropriate. LOL

We don't remember. It was a charter package to the Manchebo. Whatever pointed us to Aruba, we're happy it did.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    We were going to Puerto Rico. I had just emailed someone we found on VRBO for a house there to rent. It was like a Saturday. That night my husband says quick, come here. That was the year that was the big outbreak of dengue fever. It was on CNN. So we said no way. We started looking at Aruba since we had been to Antiqua, didn't like it. I had already been to all the other caribbean islands. We found an apt (the wacamaya or something). FYI, don't rent there. Anyway, the first 2 days it poured, flooding. Remember, that was the year of the unbelievable weather. Now we were there for 8 days. My hubby is like great place you picked (like I'm the weather, right, lol). We got there, it rained. It flooded the next day as we watched cars underwater. It rained the next morning. But then that afternoon it was sunny, we were on the beach until the day we left.

Then the last day we're in the water and my husband said I don't think I would come back here again for a week. I said no. He said no, next time two weeks, lol. and each year its been getting a tad bit longer. We are now up to 18 days, lol. And its home.

My parents had been to Aruba and couldn't say enough good things about it so I decided to research it. When I read that it was out of the hurricane belt, relatively safe, English speaking, etc., etc. we decided to give it a try. We've been 8 times now and are looking forward to trip number 9 in the spring. We love Aruba!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast