Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How do you pack your suitcase

How do you pack your suitcase

Do you roll your clothes or use the traditional stacking method? Up till this coming trip I have always stacked my clothes but this time I rolled up everything and was amazed at how much stuff I was able to pack into my carry-on suitcase. Off the top of my head I have 2 pairs of shoes, 8 pairs of socks (I walk daily) 12 underwear (need 2 any day I walk), 3 swim suits, at least 10 pairs of shorts, some dress some athletic, 12 shirts that are a combination of athletic and nice, plus a couple of tank tops to show off my bulging muscles, lol (not really) a mini sound machine and my hair brush, tooth brush, shaving cream etc.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 06-28-2016 at 01:53 PM.

I pack into a garment bag. I roll my clothing. I think I can get more in that way. It's not a bag I can check.

BTW, you take socks to Aruba?!

I try to walk between 8-12 miles daily when I am there alone. So yep, I do wear socks in Aruba and I like to wear them on the plane as well, lol. I have extra space to pack some books as well. So far we have 2 votes for rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    I pack into a garment bag. I roll my clothing. I think I can get more in that way. It's not a bag I can check.

BTW, you take socks to Aruba?!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    I discovered e-bags packing cubes a few years ago and love them! I have pink ones for me and blue for DH, large, medium and small. I find them helpful in both organizing and keeping clothes from wrinkling. I purchased them on amazon at a good price. When not traveling they come in handy for items around the house as well.

I've always stacked. Last year I rolled. We also downsized the amount of clothing we take so I'm not sure if it was the rolling or the downsizing, but we did great on space!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Roll, roll, roll......it's the only way to go! I also use a few packing cubes for smaller items (like socks, etc.) to keep them altogether.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

I roll... and pack everything into a rolling duffel bag with a zippered bottom compartment. Shorts, skirts and sundresses go in the bottom, with space for some shoes on the sides. Everything else gets rolled into the rest of the bag. I don't know the meaning of packing light, but three of these bags for three people allows me to bring a large representative sample of my summer wardrobe

I've always stacked individually, but I've seen a few videos lately of stacking clothes on top of each other and rolling together so I'm anxious to try this. The only thing I worry about are dress clothes but I could always do them separately from just shorts and t-shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZrYtRjYfs

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for posting that video
    we tried the bundle wrapping on a cruise.
    it worked well.
    i posted the bundling option on a prior thread.

when we bundle packed for a cruise, my husband's was chosen to be gone thru at security at port cnaveral.
    omg what a hassle trying to get it all back the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by FLSteff View Post
    I've always stacked individually, but I've seen a few videos lately of stacking clothes on top of each other and rolling together so I'm anxious to try this. The only thing I worry about are dress clothes but I could always do them separately from just shorts and t-shirts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZrYtRjYfs

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Do you roll your clothes or use the traditional stacking method? Up till this coming trip I have always stacked my clothes but this time I rolled up everything and was amazed at how much stuff I was able to pack into my carry-on suitcase. Off the top of my head I have 2 pairs of shoes, 8 pairs of socks (I walk daily) 12 underwear (need 2 any day I walk), 3 swim suits, at least 10 pairs of shorts, some dress some athletic, 12 shirts that are a combination of athletic and nice, plus a couple of tank tops to show off my bulging muscles, lol (not really) a mini sound machine and my hair brush, tooth brush, shaving cream etc.
    Jay, you're taking more clothes than my wife did for three weeks! Remember the number one rule "take half the clothes you think you need and twice the money"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast