Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: how young is too young?

I guess I have a different view...

I feel it all depends on your relationship with your kids.

We have no grandchildren; just college kids. And, we've never vacationed with our mothers and/or fathers (since we've been married). We use vacation to get away from family. We are both very busy and our mothers live so close, it's nice to have a vacation with just the two of us (or 4 if our kids come). Not that we don't appreciate and love our parents, we cannot spend more than a day with them. I have taken the kids to FL to see grandma, but DH won't even go stay with his own mom. I'll be sad the day comes that our kids would rather not come with us (but as long as we're footing the bill, that won't happen).

Have you vacationed with your son and DIL previously to know how well you get along? If your son and DIL do not live close is this an opportunity to spend some time with them? Being in different units is a plus as well as setting up guidelines before you go.
    Last edited by AUA1989; 06-16-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Aruba since 1979
    Have you vacationed with your son and DIL previously to know how well you get along?yes 3 cruises and disney. If your son and DIL do not live close is this an opportunity to spend some time with them?yes, we live 1300+ miles away Being in different units is a plus as well as setting up guidelines before you g i don't think we need guidelines, maybe just a bit of a schedule. my initial thoughts was that it might be too much (meaning exhausting) for our grandson and/or his parents. there are certain family members that i would not "cross the street with" but i would sell my soul to have my parents back to vacation with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    I guess I have a different view...

I feel it all depends on your relationship with your kids.

We have no grandchildren; just college kids. And, we've never vacationed with our mothers and/or fathers (since we've been married). We use vacation to get away from family. We are both very busy and our mothers live so close, it's nice to have a vacation with just the two of us (or 4 if our kids come). Not that we don't appreciate and love our parents, we cannot spend more than a day with them. I have taken the kids to FL to see grandma, but DH won't even go stay with his own mom. I'll be sad the day comes that our kids would rather not come with us (but as long as we're footing the bill, that won't happen).

Have you vacationed with your son and DIL previously to know how well you get along? If your son and DIL do not live close is this an opportunity to spend some time with them? Being in different units is a plus as well as setting up guidelines before you go.

I keep going back to where you are staying. With your grandson being so young, I would think a timeshare at the beach would be easier in case he needed to go back to the room with one of you while others were on the beach. I also see how much stuff my friends with toddlers have to carry around with them at all times. Honestly I don't knwo anything about Bananas other than your report. A few years ago we did a beach trip with friends and those with little ones were constantly going back to the houses for this or that. I guess it depends on the kid and that parents though.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    ya they are still undecided as to where they are staying. maybe bananas or maybe aruba beach club. they will have a rental car!!! whichever they choose,it will certainly be an adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I keep going back to where you are staying. With your grandson being so young, I would think a timeshare at the beach would be easier in case he needed to go back to the room with one of you while others were on the beach. I also see how much stuff my friends with toddlers have to carry around with them at all times. Honestly I don't knwo anything about Bananas other than your report. A few years ago we did a beach trip with friends and those with little ones were constantly going back to the houses for this or that. I guess it depends on the kid and that parents though.

I personally don't think there is an age that is "too young" for making memories - these memories are too early for him, but he will see pictures and hear stories of his first visit to Aruba for the rest of his life! After being parents for a year they are already accustomed to bringing everything they need for him, whether to a park down the street or a beach a mile away or a few thousand miles away. They've already experienced flying with him and know how to deal with flying. I don't see any issue

I think it will be the most exhausting and rewarding Aruba experience ever!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Andrea, you are putting too much thought and worry into this. You and Paul are Aruba veterans, so go and entertain your son and his family and have a blast! I'm sure it's hard not to be the concerned mother/grandmother and like many of us you want everything perfect. But let's face it, you may never get to enjoy this opportunity again, things happen fast in life. I say go and make memories, exhaustion be damned....

Aruba since 1979
    no worries now
    i am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Andrea, you are putting too much thought and worry into this. You and Paul are Aruba veterans, so go and entertain your son and his family and have a blast! I'm sure it's hard not to be the concerned mother/grandmother and like many of us you want everything perfect. But let's face it, you may never get to enjoy this opportunity again, things happen fast in life. I say go and make memories, exhaustion be damned....

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Our 8 yr. old granddaughter has been coming to the beach with us every year (along with her parents, my son and his wife), since she was a year old. We all stay together in a rental house. We wouldn't take anything for all of the wonderful memories we've shared over the years. We really cherish those times. I'm sure that you will too.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks all

Aruba since 1979
    well..................aruba in late october/early november will not be happening in 2015.
    they surprised us with the announcement of a new baby coming in early dec!!!

so glad that we did not book their tickets as a christmas gift. whew!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast