Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Radisson; Madame Janette; Downtown; Natural Bridge (even though only remnants remain); Marriott; Eagle Beach; Palm Beach
    We are in Aruba "as we speak"; staying at the Radisson, arrived yesterday. From what we've observed, business is waaay off here; hotels seem to be only about 40% of capacity (Radisson, Marriott...can't speak for the others....yet). Went out for a light bite last evening, our first night here. Went for burgers at TGIFriday's ....we were the only people in the place at 5:45PM...placed order and by 6:20 still had not been served. Prices: $14.25 plus tax and tip....for a hamburger, no fries or other side dishes. So...we went to Tony Roma's...three tables had guests...we ordered and were served quickly and hospitably. By then about 10 tables had guests. All in all...I would say things are very quiet here....TOO quiet!!! Back to prices...and I understand that being on vacation most of us don't really care too much about prices...but...Two cokes and an iced tea at Gilligan's....$10.10 including tax and 15% gratuity....plus extra tip!!! Is that crazy or what???? Enjoying ourselves....nevertheless!!!
    Last edited by Darryl; 10-29-2008 at 07:41 AM.

We are still definitely going in 2009 - however in an effort to save money we will be going in May rather than during spring break week in April as we normally do. Also would be willing to cut back on the dining/drinking a little bit as well, but have to agree that when on vacation we would rather splurge moneywise than lug our food and drink to the beach. As a stay at home mother of 3 I spend too much time all year preparing meals and feeding everybody - not worrying about cooking is the best aspect of the vacation.
    katherine

Trip #14 in

Instead of multiple trips, just one longer trip to save the airfare $$. Also add a few more "less expesive" restaurants (where we don't order bottles of wine), and cook our own breakfasts in the timeshare.

We've been looking for timeshares or even a house to rent and share with friends instead of hotels or all inclusives.

Very nice, It's good to see the diversity... Kinda...

Most likely if you are on this forum, you have a some bias toward Aruba over other places. Nonetheless, I hear that this is still not the most popular time of year (rainy season), hence hotels at 40-50% capacity. Most of you would know better than me though because I don't have past experience to draw from. I just hear it from talk around the island.

It sounds like the Real Estate companies and grocery stores will benefit more from this than anyone else as people move toward renting houses/apts at cheaper rates and more shopping for their own goods.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Mr. Curious, do you have some vested interest in this question?

In a way, yes I do...

I'm doing business between the ABC islands (mostly Real Estate for now) where we are/were trying to appeal more to Americans (I'm from LA). People in the US, now all over the world have lost A LOT of money just in the last couple weeks and it's evident just in spending habits in Aruba today. I almost dread seeing what it will be like in 4-6 months from now.

The Aruban business owners that aren't even directly linked to tourism are stuffing their money into their mattresses because they are unsure how the whopping 75% of our US tourists will play out or fall out.

I have my own opinions on the matter, but I wanted to know directly from the horse's mouth what people thought and how they are affected. It would be nice to know more, but your opinions are just enough to satisfy my nosiness.

It seems this topic hit home with people. I seem to talk about it everyday myself.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Mr Curious, thanks for answering my question...I see the picture clearly now. Was wondering WHY you had asked that question and where you were going with it... cindyo

No problemo, Cindyo.

Basically, it all comes down to me being nosy. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curious View Post

Basically, it all comes down to me being nosy. That's all.

Actually....this has been one of the more interesting threads in a long time!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast