Take a deep breath.
she's right, it can change in a minute. you might not have a problem. also, if they cancel due to weather, you are not charged a change fee. they usually waive it. when i go on the continental site, especially when there's a problem around, earthquakes, storms, you can see where they list the "to be affected destinations" and say you can change, no charge. i think they are thrilled if you change so they don't have to worry about alot of people who are angry. i can't answer for AA.
I can totally understand your worrying. I am cut from the same cloth and would have to know I had a backup plan. As far as the pets goes can you ask the pet sitter to board them with your vet (not ideal but only if necessary) if you aren't able to get home in time? For me that would be my biggest concern if I had to stay longer. As far as a room to stay in have you tried some of the time shares around? Many of them rent nightly rooms. I remember you mentioned staying at Caribbean Palm Village before. I think their nightly rates are reasonable. Here is their reservations contact info: http://www.cpvr.com/index.php?option...id=1&Itemid=59
Maybe they will hold a room for you until you hear from the airline. As far as your flight that is really out of your control so what will be will be unless you want to come out of pocket to ensure your flight home. Last but not least try to enjoy your time there!
Last edited by AhhAruba; 08-22-2011 at 11:42 AM.
aruba experts hahahahaha
somedays i am a newbie
esp when it comes to being panic stricken thinking my house and pets are going to be blown away in a storm ;-)
Andea, I can only send you my very best wishes that all works out for you and Paul.
I am so glad that all your friends on the Forum have given you advice and suggestions.
Don't worry; I am sure that somehow all will work out well.
and serene, wk 33 and 34 are full of the families from venezuela on hliday.