Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: If you could

We are going to be there for 10-11 weeks this coming winter. I am going to be looking at where I can volunteer. Hubby will be working while we are there-he's calling it his "Aruba office". Since there are two exercise rooms on the property, maybe I'll be able to lose some of the weight I put on over the years. I'm a little concerned about being bored, but I thought I'd be bored when I retired 11 months ago and other than a few days here and there, it hasn't happened.

No way could I spend 6 months. I have 5 grandchildren who are young and I want to be there for them. Also my mother in law is 85 and we like to help her out with yard work and just visiting- we realize she will not be here forever- although she is very self sufficient. Also after husbands health issues while we were away I realize how important family and friends are when you are in a crisis mode. I also agree with Pegmeister that living there would take that special feeling I get when I know we are headed there! I think 2 weeks is perfect in Aruba( when all are healthy). Also I miss having a home cooked meal when gone to long from home- haha!

Peg, I'm with you. We have worked our way up to three weeks a year. I too think that being there for six months at a time would take the excitement out of visiting for shorter periods. Plus I would be bored to tears by the third month. That said, I would love to be able to visit twice a year for three weeks at a time.

Hey kids, you're adopting the cats. Mom and dad will be in Aruba for 6 months!! I would not have a hard time doing that. 6 mos here, 6 mos there; no problem.

Hoping for a 30th anniversary trip to our favorite place.

I would like to go for 1 month twice a year when we retire in a few years. Right now, too many obligations with elderly and ailing parents. I can't see being gone for 6 months though, because I would miss my family too much. I think if I did go for 6 months, I wouldn't be bored. I would follow my home routine of walking, reading, swimming, and doing puzzles. I would volunteer with the animal shelter. I am also making friends through the forums and on the island so would socialize as well.

That's the plan. We plan to spend our days mocking our friends still trapped in the Canadian winter. We'll never see snow again.

But... in reality, we'll base ourselves out of Aruba for the six months (November-ish to April-ish) and travel from there to parts yonder. We also have quite a few development projects we'll be working on and some remote consulting work. It's amazing how quickly a day fills up so I'm not worried about being bored.
    Last edited by act1966; 06-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    we have missed you!!
    welcome back

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    That's the plan. We plan to spend our days mocking our friends still trapped in the Canadian winter. We'll never see snow again.

But... in reality, we'll base ourselves out of Aruba for the six months (November-ish to April-ish) and travel from there to parts yonder. We also have a quite a few development projects we'll be working on and some remote consulting work. It's amazing how quickly a day fills up so I'm not worried about being bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    we have missed you!!
    welcome back
    Thanks, Andrea. Finally coming up for air.

Six months on Aruba is my dream right now. So if I were able to spend six months on Aruba I would be there from the start of Hurricane Season till its conclusion, so from 1st June till late November/early December. As for what I would do with my time on the island, letís see.........
    1. Write, whenever Iím on Aruba I feel energized to write and somehow I get some good ideas for stories while Iím on Aruba.
    2. Do some volunteer work at least two to three times in the week, maybe teaching English or working with an adult literacy program.
    3. Run a after school or vacation program in creative writing.
    4. Having a lot more time on the island I would take a trip over to Bonaire and Curacao and spend a few days or so.
    5. Walk up and down Hooiberg two times per week, that would be a good work out.
    6. Spend one day in the week exploring the island either via car or via public transportation.
    7. Convince my friends to come and visit.
    8. Learn to cook local meals.
    9. Dedicate one day in the week to just vegging out on one of the local beaches.
    10. Become more fluent in Papiamento.
    11. Do a vlog about my time on Aruba.
    12. Write some articles to travel magazines aimed at new and returning visitors to Aruba.

I like your style- I long for the days of 6 months in Aruba! But I will "settle" for two weeks starting later this month, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Six months on Aruba is my dream right now. So if I were able to spend six months on Aruba I would be there from the start of Hurricane Season till its conclusion, so from 1st June till late November/early December. As for what I would do with my time on the island, let’s see.........
    1. Write, whenever I’m on Aruba I feel energized to write and somehow I get some good ideas for stories while I’m on Aruba.
    2. Do some volunteer work at least two to three times in the week, maybe teaching English or working with an adult literacy program.
    3. Run a after school or vacation program in creative writing.
    4. Having a lot more time on the island I would take a trip over to Bonaire and Curacao and spend a few days or so.
    5. Walk up and down Hooiberg two times per week, that would be a good work out.
    6. Spend one day in the week exploring the island either via car or via public transportation.
    7. Convince my friends to come and visit.
    8. Learn to cook local meals.
    9. Dedicate one day in the week to just vegging out on one of the local beaches.
    10. Become more fluent in Papiamento.
    11. Do a vlog about my time on Aruba.
    12. Write some articles to travel magazines aimed at new and returning visitors to Aruba.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast