Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: If you were in downtown Oranjestad today

Aruba since 1979
    i don't know
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Was this the article which prompted the protest?

Parlamento lo tuma decision historico pa cu Aruba su autonomia

Publica: Dialuna, 24 augustus 2015

http://arenapoliti.co/arena/parlamen...a-su-autonomia

I was over at seaport (desperately needed a drink soft drink lol) and hubby had dropped me off he had to park right down by the cruise terminal but I didn't know where, I saw most of it while waiting for him a few locals were talking about a protest and watching but hubby came to me and we left pretty quickly

I am all for peaceful protests, but they were not peaceful and are now promising to "...continue till the liberty is recuperated."
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-31-2015 at 12:32 AM.

TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

It only take a few bad eggs........sad
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    ahhh rona tells all.
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Just came across this article. It's quite interesting:

Financial supervision law triggers riots in Aruba

POSTED: 09/1/15 1:12 PM

ORANJESTAD – Police arrested several people and protesters set a large traffic sign on fire on the boulevard in front of the parliament building after the parliament voted on Thursday 13-8 in favor of the legislation that puts a board Aruban financial supervision (CAft) – akin to the Cft for St. Maarten and Curacao – in place. Within the parliament, but even more so outside, the atmosphere was very agitated, AriŽn Rasmijn reports on Caribisch Netwerk.
    Before the meeting in parliament began there was already a crowd in front of the public entrance of the parliament building. Supporters of governing party AVP and opposition party MEP showed up in droves. At a certain moment people start pushing and shoving and someone began to spray the crowd with a pepper spray. One protester had to be taken to hospital for treatment because if it.
    Once the meeting began the atmosphere remained agitated. Speeches by parliamentarians were interrupted by a lot of shouting from the audience. Police officers stood guard in the meeting hall and in the bleachers, but parliament president Marisol Lopez-Tromp did not want to vacate the premises.
    Outside, agitation levels were rising. Several unions called through media linked to the opposition to come to the meeting. Their demand to the parliament’s president was to suspend the meeting and to talk to them. It fell on deaf ears. Late in the afternoon, the situation reached boiling point near the main entrance to the parliament building. Someone kicked in the door and a police officer sustained injuries before union leaders managed to calm everybody down.

Tensions in the meeting hall also increased, as the situation outside became more forbidding. During the debate the opposition faction of the MEP accused the cabinet of handing over Aruba’s financial autonomy to the Netherlands with the establishment of the CAft. The legislation supposedly also will introduce countless fiscal measures that especially affect citizens while the government hardly has to give up anything according to the MEP.
    The PDR faction also opposed the law, in line with the motion of no confidence party leader Andin Bikker tabled during the budget debate in May. The AVP-faction on the other hand, was of the opinion that the CAft would provide the necessary control and accountability, while Prime Minister Mike Eman called the CAft a temporary measure until the budget will be balanced in a couple of years.
    This is different from the kingdom law financial supervision that would bring permanent supervision. According to Eman, his government has prevented the implementation of permanent supervision. To emphasize this, the CAft has been renamed via an amendment into Board Aruban Temporary Financial Supervision. The 13-strong majority faction approved the legislation.
    The MEP-faction said that it will fight the law internationally. According to party leader Evelyn Wever-Croes, parliament president Lopez-Tromp admitted an armed gang of thugs to the building that have threatened her and other faction members at Lopez-Tromp’s orders. The latter denies this and says that Top FM – a radio station connected to the MEP – has called on supporters to wait for her at her home.
    After the debate the situation outside got completely out of control. Windows and doors were smashed and a large traffic sign was set on fire in the middle of the boulevard in front of the parliament building.
    By 8.30 p.m. police managed to restore order. Officers arrested several protesters.

http://www.todaysxm.com/2015/09/01/f...iots-in-aruba/

Aruba since 1979
    i am not sure that the word "riots" is appropriate, but then again i wasnt there
    which i guess was a good thing!
    now thinking of the bad actions of some, riot is probably correct in that article
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 09-09-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am not sure that the word "riots" is appropriate, but then again i wasnt there
    which i guess was a good thing!
    now thinking of the bad actions of some, riot is probably correct in that article
    If you use the number of rocks and bricks used to break as many windows as were broken ...as well as setting a fire large enough to block a roadway... I do not know how many people were arrested, but there were some taken off in handcuffs. Presumably NOT for singing Kumbaya ...

ri∑ot ˈrīət
    noun
    noun riot plural noun riots
    a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.
    an uproar.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I found the article interesting because it gives some insight into the new CAft law which would give the Netherlands supervision over the financial spending of Aruba. Mike Eman even went on a 5-day hunger strike last year, opposing this new law. But it seems he is giving in, calling it a "temporary measure until the budget will be balanced in a couple of years." Many Arubans don't want to loose their financial autonomy.

Aruba's tourism is booming. However, spending is out of control, it seems.

I'm thinking about the windmill park, the trolley downtown and wonder: was it really worth it? IMO, it cost a fortune and the benefits are small. Mike Eman kept talking about a second windmill park. And then, there is the beautification of San Nicolas. Will it really improve tourism? I doubt it. Besides, it will cost another fortune. Aruba is already heavily in the red

Here is another article talking about the new CAft law:

MORE TAXES. The sensible folks in our community welcomed the so call financial supervision introduced with the new CAFT law. Our spendthrift officials demonstrated extravagant, recklessly wasteful practices, and they gotta be stopped. Mom threatened to reign in the kids, she is now serious about it. That said, I have to admit, I am not totally optimistic about CAFT, because we know that there are a million ways around it. If the AVP government doesn’t truly buy into that curb-expenses philosophy, it will not work. As far as the people go, the government followed Dutch advise and raised taxes, cut social services, slashed health benefits, eradicated educational supplies, and reduced subsidies for orphans and elderly, but, did they reduce the number of contracted coordinators, did they deflate government expenditure, are they traveling less, are they renting less office spaces, I don’t think so. It’s been more than one year since the initial CAFT conversation, and while we have been tightening the belts, I share the consensus of many that nothing changed in government. The airco and lights are still on 24/7 in the new empty government multifunctional office in Noord.

http://batibleki.visitaruba.com/2015...ugust-30-2015/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast