Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Iguanas

Iguanas

Resurrecting the thread as a newbie, I was curious about iguanas. I've seen videos of people feeding them. Do they now associate people with food and bother you, or do they mind their own business until someone entices them? I've heard iguana bites (at least from those in captivity) can leave a mark. IMO, no one should be feeding them:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...h-cholesterol/

Around some of the resorts, the iguanas have become very accustomed to people. There are signs not to feed them but people still do. I have seem them jump on tables and people's laps

They never bothered us at all until the day my husband and our friend decided they should feed them. Then one little iguana went brought back his friends and they swarmed us. My friend was trying to eat a little while later and one jumped up on her lounge chair for his share. We blame the husbands; that was the only time we have ever been bothered.

Aruba since 1979
    jason i broke your posting this away from the old thread and made it its own thread.

i think that the iguanas tend to mind their own business for the most part.
    however, if you are drinking a fancy drink with bright red maraschino cherries, their eyes widen and their mouths water.

imo iguanas in aruba are the equivalent to squirrels in the USA. they are around, numerous and they do their own thing.

many people DO feed them and that really is not a good thing.

what i dislike is when the defacate on the decking /walkways around the pool.

the resorts DO have them removed when they become problematic and a nuisance.

there may be a few on the island that enjoy the taste of iguana stew. (my husband had a taste of it many years ago)
    but, to the best of my knowledge, killing them for food is illegal.

Aruba since 1979
    ps
    read jacki's latest trip report
    she has a link to her photos in that report.
    her son and iguana became quite friendly.

Yup! and that was totally our fault for feeding them. I know we shouldn't but they were so cute! And we were feeding them flower petals, carrots and celery broken up very small. Better than cherries & french fries!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

If I remember correctly, in years past I saw plates of lettuce and other left over veges on a plate for the iguanas that was left on the ground by the outside bar at the Hol Inn.

On our first trip to Aruba, we were on Renaissance Island and I was having drink in a lounge chair. I accidentlly dropped the cherry from my drink on the sand and I figured I'd pick it up once I was done with my drink. An iguana came over and ate it right away then started to climb into the lounge chair with me. My family did not realize how fast I could get out of the chair. They thought it was hysterical.

On another trip there, the iguanas had really multiplied and were a problem if you tried to eat in your lounge chair. The guy next to me had his lunch brought to him. An iguana climbed on to his chair and on to him and up him as he held this lunch over his head, after his wife took a bunch of pictures, she took his food out of his hands and the iguana climbed down. We ate at the restaurant seeing after that. I think they must have move many of the iguanas off of Renaissance Island because the following year there were a lot less iguanas there.

Iguanas are vegetarians as an FYI from what I was told. They do Iguanna tours at the Ritz for the kids and my son thinks they are adorable.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 09-08-2017 at 11:07 PM.

I remember the iguanas following people carrying pizzas from Sbarros at La Cabana. It was funny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast