I was originally supposed to go on a trip to Italy with some friends this summer, but due to some unforeseen external factors they all had to drop out. I had already secured the vacation time so I said screw it and cashed in some points and booked a 6 day solo trip to Aruba (Only cost me $450 for airfare, lodging, and rental car for the week). I've never been to the Caribbean or been on a solo trip of this scale before so I have some basic questions... Sorry if they sound ridiculous:
1. Being by myself how the hell do I apply sunscreen without constantly asking strangers to apply it?
2. I've never been this close to the equator... is a hat necessary?
3. I live in NYC and haven't owned a car in 10 years, but I'll be renting one for the duration of the trip. How strict are the drunk driving laws compared to the US? I'm not going to get wasted and jump behind the wheel, but should I be worried about having a cocktail and driving within an hour of consumption?
4. I'm staying in an apartment behind the Marriott and according to google maps it's about a .5 mile drive/walk to entrance of the Palm Beach next to the Marriott. How busy are the roads around that area? Would it be better to drive to that the beach?
5. How abundant is free parking on the island? I'll undoubtedly want to go explore other beaches and I was wondering if I was going to have a hard time finding parking?
6. Do all rental cars in Aruba have liability coverage include? I've read some conflicting things about this. I'm renting a car through National since I get a discounted rate and they were having a sale for the Caribbean if that makes a difference.
7. Is free wifi easily found? I'm not sure if I should get a local sim for data for the week or just try to survive on free wifi when I can find it.
8. How concerned should I be about my car getting broken into? I was planning on using it as a mobile stash point so I could put extra clothes and electronics in case I wanted to go on a photo adventure while out and about. I intentionally got a car that wasn't one of the common rentals that most places had... incase people targeted tourist rentals.
9. As a solo male should I be worried about being targeted for any sort of crime? I'm not a big guy so I feel somewhat vulnerable being alone in a unfamiliar country. Also has there been any spill over crime due to the turmoil in Venezuela? Or has that been more or less a none issue on the island?
All in all I'm very excited for this trip. I'm kind of glad my original plans fell apart as this will be the first relaxing vacation where I can do exactly what I want. Sorry again if my questions seem basic, but I've tried researching over the last month and these are the only questions I couldn't find answers to (from current/recent sources). Thanks for reading!