Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I'm going on my first solo vacation to Aruba... I've got some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    The sun in Aruba will be brutally hot.

If you decide to really take your phone and extra batteries to the beach, make sure you can store it in the shade. Maybe look for a palapa where you can secure your belongings in a save bag and tie it to the palapa.

Instead of taking a credit card to the beach, I would opt to take some cash. Don't know how much of a hassle it would be to replace a stolen credit card. JMO.

What you will need most on the beach is sun lotion, a hat, sunglasses, maybe an extra t-shirt, possible a beach towel and some water. And your car keys.

If you leave valuables back at your hotel (phone, camera, credit cards, passport, cash ect), I would store it in your safe.
    For me it would be just easier to carry a card since I can just bring one with me to the beach and keep my others in the room. If it gets stolen I can call my CC company and they'll cancel the card and send a replacement to my home address and I'll use another card for the remainder of the trip. I guess the only thing of value I'm carrying is my phone, but I feel like it's somewhat necessarily to look up information and activities while I'm out and about.

Aruba since 1979
    what is a "save bag?"

you recommend to tie it to a palapa. could that lead to a person being able to quickly "un"tie and steal?

we use a pac safe
    it has a coated cable and we can attach and lock to a palapa.
    someone would need large bolt cutter like cutters in order to cut that cable.

in the pac safe while we are at the beach.........iphone,ipad and kindle. room key, car key, $ cash, credit card, license.

as i said in an earlier posting, we bought the kiss bag and found the locking chain very flimsy and not something that we felt comfortable with.

re: credit card replacement. we lost our discover card someplace between the bugaloe and the renaissance ocean suites a few years ago.
    we called the credit card company and we had the new one in our hands in 48 hours. (fedex) we were very fortunate. i wonder if 48 hours is the norm?

The sun in Aruba will be brutally hot.

If you decide to really take your phone and extra batteries to the beach, make sure you can store it in the shade. Maybe look for a palapa where you can secure your belongings in a save bag and tie it to the palapa.

Instead of taking a credit card to the beach, I would opt to take some cash. Don't know how much of a hassle it would be to replace a stolen credit card. JMO.

What you will need most on the beach is sun lotion, a hat, sunglasses, maybe an extra t-shirt, possible a beach towel and some water. And your car keys.

If you leave valuables back at your hotel (phone, camera, credit cards, passport, cash ect), I would store it in your safe.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
    For me it would be just easier to carry a card since I can just bring one with me to the beach and keep my others in the room. If it gets stolen I can call my CC company and they'll cancel the card and send a replacement to my home address and I'll use another card for the remainder of the trip. I guess the only thing of value I'm carrying is my phone, but I feel like it's somewhat necessarily to look up information and activities while I'm out and about.
    Just wanted to mention it. The decision is yours.

Regarding phones, laptops in the sun: here are some useful tips:

How to Keep Your Laptop or Smartphone Safe in Hot Weather

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyourlaptop/tp/How-To-Keep-Your-Laptop-Or-Smartphone-Safe-In-Hot-Weather.htm

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Yup, "pac safe", that's the word! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    what is a "save bag?"

you recommend to tie it to a palapa. could that lead to a person being able to quickly "un"tie and steal?

we use a pac safe
    it has a coated cable and we can attach and lock to a palapa.
    someone would need large bolt cutter like cutters in order to cut that cable.

in the pac safe while we are at the beach.........iphone,ipad and kindle. room key, car key, $ cash, credit card, license.

as i said in an earlier posting, we bought the kiss bag and found the locking chain very flimsy and not something that we felt comfortable with.

re: credit card replacement. we lost our discover card someplace between the bugaloe and the renaissance ocean suites a few years ago.
    we called the credit card company and we had the new one in our hands in 48 hours. (fedex) we were very fortunate. i wonder if 48 hours is the norm?

Aruba since 1979
    yes.

those pac safes are terrific.

my son has a pacsafe backpack (daypack)
    he travels extensively to the far east and middle east and uses it religiously.

all folks, no matter where they are traveling.....safe or unsafe regions........be proactive and lock your stuff.

also too, google vacation vault
    the vacation vault served paul and i well.......til we got our iPads and kindle.
    the vacation vault might be "just the ticket" for some of you.
    it holds $$, credit cards, phone(s) , keys, camera, a paperback book.
    our vacation vault has found a new home

Yup, "pac safe", that's the word! Thank you.

Andrea, your vacation vault is enjoying its new home! We've made good use of it!

We don't carry a lot to the beach. Being in electronics, I have been taught that water and sand do not mix well with cell phones. For us a sport case from Witz is large enough to carry a room key, car key, a credit card and some cash for a day of bar hopping or pool hopping along Palm Beach. They are quite inexpensive and are 100% waterproof. There are a wide range of sizes available.

http://www.witzsportcases.com/large-travel-cases.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234