Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: the IMPORTANCE of trip insurance

Aruba since 1979

the IMPORTANCE of trip insurance

A friend of a friend suffered a severe broken leg (compound fractures) in a fall in aruba last week.

This person had no trip insurance and the associated costs were astronomical.

Aruba's hospital did the best they could do, but this person wanted/insisted to go back to the USA for the surgery and follow up care. (to Tampa)

A medical transport jet and associated things that went with it came to about $56,000.

(The Aruba hospital portion was about $1500+)

The person's medical insurance may cover (reimburse) the Aruba hospital's fees, but unclear if the air transport is covered.

If trip insurance that would have cost less than $100 had been purchased (the kind including medical evacuation), the person would have had no worries for these fees.

Please check your own health insurance policies and then make an informed decision re: additional insurance.

It is better to spend the additional money on the insurance in most cases as it also covers trip interruption, baggage etc.

We saw someone taken off the beach by ambulance during our recent stay as a result of a jetski accident. Fractured ribs, fractured ankle, fractured leg. No word on cost of damages to jet ski never mind hospital bill. Unfortunately accidents do happen.

My daughter had emergency surgery in Aruba ten years ago (I still shudder when I think about it, but thankfully not an accident--ovarian cyst that suddenly decided to flare up ; she was only 17, poor thing!) We had to pay Aruba up front, but our insurance provider (BC/BS) reimbursed us for all costs. We just made sure we called them as soon as possible (it happened on the weekend) and they just asked us for copies of the bills. Two surgeons, two pints of blood, five days in the hospital, and all other associated costs came to $2000!!! Blue Cross/Blue Shield came out way ahead on that She went to our doctor here to be checked when we got home and they complimented the surgeons. One was a Dutch doctor filling in for the regular island gyn who was on vacation. The other was a Dr. Posner, I believe. The quality of care was excellent, at least back then. No "hurrying" you out of the hospital, although she was anxious to be discharged, since bad hospital food seems to be universal. We didn't even think about flying her home as she was in acute pain, and certainly don't know if BC/BS would have been as understanding about a medi-vac.

Yes I agree with medical insurance when outside US. I always buy insurance for cruise ship but never used to buy it when I traveled to Aruba or Cancun. One year my Mother triped in the parking lot of La Cabana Resort. Lucky she caught her fall with her arms and didn't bump her head. After that, I decided to get trip insurance starting last year. Medivac cost a lot of money! You just never know!

Please be advised even with evacuation insurance your condition must be severe enough that the local doctor and the company must agree that you cannot be treated properly on the island.

When we returned from Aruba on Jan 3, 2015 there was a Delta plane stuck/broke down in our depature terminal. The airport was jammed, short story is we took off about 3 hours late and we missed our connection. We were in N.C. and it was midnight. The airline gave us a paper to call for a discounted hotel. Myself with a bunch of others were sitting on hold for about 15 minutes. No one was getting through to book their discounted hotel. I looked at my wife and said, hey we have insurance, just book a hotel. I stayed on hold... My wife booked a nice hotel, I forget the name for about $100 bucks with a free BF. The discount hotel people got on the line and offered me a place for $110, I said no thanks, I was just wondering the price so I could compare.

After we returned to the US, I took about a week and filed an online claim. Today I received a check in the mail for my full claim, hotel, airport food, and even a chapsitck. Yes, the insurance cost more than the claim, but if that would have happened on the way down or we missed a day at the Tamarijn, the claim would have been high even for just 1 day.

Always better to get it.. That 2 out of 3 years going to AUA that we used it. First was during Hurricane Sandy, we actualy left a day early b/c our airport LGA was under water and closed. For me,its a must.

OK, you've all piqued my interest. I always thought I could only get insurance when I booked a package through a travel company. For this year, I booked my air separate from my accommodations, which I am renting through a private party.

Please educate me. Can I get trip insurance and where?

Aruba since 1979
    absolutely
    one option is
    www.insuremytrip.com
    plenty of options there and a nice comparison tool too.

aus1989 wrote: OK, you've all piqued my interest. I always thought I could only get insurance when I booked a package through a travel company. For this year, I booked my air separate from my accommodations, which I am renting through a private party.

Please educate me. Can I get trip insurance and where?

We have been using Allianz Global Assistance. A few times I booked through a travel agent and I noticed this was the company they were using, so now I skip the middle man (price is about half of what travel agent charged for the same Insurance). We book a place and air separately, you can call back and add air (if you book the hotel first). I was also checking out Kayak for renting a car, the insurance Kayak points you to is the the same company Allianz. The CDL was only $9 a day with a zero deductible. Most Aruba places want to charge you $10 to $19 (my current research) and with a $500 deductible.

http://www.allianztravelinsurance.co...FSwdOgodt0kA_w

Thank you, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast