Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: IMPORTANCE of TRIP/TRAVEL Insurance

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I did check with my medical and they said that i should have them put any procedures done in english and you need to let them know within 24 hours of arriving back in the states.

Be that as it may, I know you (Andrea)have provided travel insurance sites and was wondering id you could do that again. Because for the amt they would charge, it would be worth it to get it just to avoid problems, especially as we get older. I could just see my insurance changing their minds. Better safe than sorry

As many as you know, last year I had to cancel our Auba trip the last minute because my husband was in the hospital with pneumonia. We had insurance for both of us. It was a pain filling out so much paper work and bringing some of it to the doctors to sign but they did cover most of the trip. I am thankful I had it. Will never go out of the country with out it.

Aruba since 1979
    there are MANY companies that provide travel related insurance.

this site provides some of the companies and lets you compare plans before you buy.

www.insuremytrip.com

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I did check with my medical and they said that i should have them put any procedures done in english and you need to let them know within 24 hours of arriving back in the states.

Be that as it may, I know you (Andrea)have provided travel insurance sites and was wondering id you could do that again. Because for the amt they would charge, it would be worth it to get it just to avoid problems, especially as we get older. I could just see my insurance changing their minds. Better safe than sorry

It is so scary to need medical attention when you are not at home. When my youngest son was 8 we went to Williamsburg. He had a slight cough before we left. I had him checked by his doctor and she said he was okay, probably allergies and gave him a cough med. Three days later he was admitted to the Williamsburg hospital with pneumonia. It was frightening because we were in place we did not know, in a hospital without a pediatric floor or section, with medical personnel we did not know and who did not know his medical history. But the one thing I didn't have to worry about was insurance because we were in the country and whatever was not covered would be billed later. I can't imagine having to put tens of thousands of $$$ on my credit card upfront.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I have that extra protection from Amex that costs $24.95 each time you rent a car and that covers medical and airlift ($50,000 each) but i do need to double check that that refers to any medical and not just for a car acc't medical. I did locate the #'s my insurance gave me in case of problems. One is an international #. It also stated to call them within 48 hours of arriving back in the states. But i will be double checking them, too.

So important! And also quite important to remember that although Aruba is our second home, She is another country - not just out of network, but literally out of the country where most of our medical insurance is based!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Such a good reminder. I had never purchased insurance before this past year, but did after reading another forum member's nightmare. I'm glad that I didn't need it, but it did give me piece of mind. I am older now and a bit of a klutz.

Does anyone know what this means - the Aruba Hospital (HOH) web site says the following with regard to International Patients:

Insurance coverage

The HOH accepts coverage from the majority of insurance companies for the hospital stay, treatment and surgery with a valid letter of guarantee (GOP) from the insurance company. However, each guarantee letter is subject to acceptance by the hospital. The patient is responsible for informing the insurance company of the hospital admittance, completing the necessary forms and sending all necessary medical information in order to obtain a valid letter of guarantee.

I'm not familiar with this "letter of guarantee."

Rhys

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Does anyone know what this means - the Aruba Hospital (HOH) web site says the following with regard to International Patients:

Insurance coverage

The HOH accepts coverage from the majority of insurance companies for the hospital stay, treatment and surgery with a valid letter of guarantee (GOP) from the insurance company. However, each guarantee letter is subject to acceptance by the hospital. The patient is responsible for informing the insurance company of the hospital admittance, completing the necessary forms and sending all necessary medical information in order to obtain a valid letter of guarantee.

I'm not familiar with this "letter of guarantee."

Rhys
    We could all guess at the meaning, but I strongly suggest contacting your medical insurance and ask so they can give you personalized information.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

One thought on the "letter of guarantee." Someone in my office had a similar experience. He was traveling to Europe for an extended period of time. He contacted the insurance carrier for the letter, and it basically states that he has coverage and is covered under XYZ insurance plan. Depending on who your insurance carrier is, they may have something in the policy for international travel medical reimbursements. The letter of guarantee in essence guarantees payment of the medical expenses through the insurance coverage in effect. Highly recommend checking with your insurance carrier.
    Darlene

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12