Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Beach Boy View Post
    To me the big problem is getting your dog to Aruba. Most airlines do not allow pets below in luggage anymore.

You might need some to bring the puppy as their carry-on. Which means a $100 fee and the person loses their carry-on as the dog will be it.
    Hi Eagle Beach Boy, I bring Stanley on Jet Blue as carry on and I also bring a carry on bag with me also. Never had a problem in the past. . . . Of course, it's to the point that most of the people at Jet Blue in Boston know him and always are happy to see him. . . . . His passport is always a big hit at check in. . . . . .

Tom and Stanley

The only airline that I found to fly our dogs in checked-baggage in United. They will take dogs up to 150 lbs (including kennel). It cost $250. per dog. A few other will take them under your seat, but very few. Most other airlines don't fly any animals into Aruba. Even though Continental is part of United they don't fly any animals into Aruba in the cargo area. And believe me I have checked every Airline.
    Ours will fly out of Chicago on the 26th of this month.

The only thing that I don't know is if they (email into the vet down there) is if they need the microchip. Most everything i've read is they don't need it. But what was posted on the link Andrea had says they need one.

Just heard back from the vet and you do have to have them microchiped.
    He sent me the same document that Andrea had.

Aruba since 1979
    I heard back from Maria aka HappyIslander this morning (our new member inquiring about the Golden Retriever puppy).

Re: veterinarians.

"the vets told me to contact "The Veterinary Service of Aruba" (government run department). They were very helpful with the specific requirements on how to import dogs & other pets to Aruba and were able to answer many of my questions. I don't know if I can post phone numbers in the forum so I thought I'd give it to you in case more people like me ask about the rules.

Pieter Barendsen, D.V.M.
    (subst. Head of Service)
    Veterinary Service
    Barcadera 1
    Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
    Phone: (+297) 585 0400
    Fax: (+297) 585 1828
    pieter.barendsen@aruba.gov.aw
    General: vetservice@aruba.gov.aw

Importing a puppy from the US or Netherlands

If you go to the Jetblue website, click on site map at the bottom of the home page. Click on "Pets". Then click on "Traveling with your pets". Go to "before you go" and click "more". Click on required "vaccination and documentation" for each destination. Click on "traveling to Aruba" Where it says for more information on vaccinations and importing pets to Aruba click on "click here". This will give you all the information that you will need. The chip needs to be an AVID or ISO. The transponders in Aruba can only read these chips.

All airlines, except Air Tran, will accept pups and dogs under 20 pounds with carrier in the cabin. Delta, American and United will accept them as checked luggage.

Hope this helps. ARF-Aruba sends the animals out of Aruba, but some vacationers bring their pets into Aruba and probably can help you also.

Kathy

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks sugar

Any of Aruba's beaches, Sand dunes on North shore, Sitting among huge boulders overlooking the beautiful tropical desert scenery
    Today we received our 8 week old Golden retriever puppy from the US!

Process is pretty straightforward if you do good research in advance and help prepare the breeder on the steps that need to be done before you can bring the animal into Aruba.

Andrea provided a great checklist earlier in this tread - but basically, dog/cat that is born in USA or lived in USA for last 6 moths is eligible to be imported to Aruba provided that dog/cat has following things completed:

1)Dog should be microchipped (with ISO grade)

2) Dog should see a vet who will issue a "International health certificate" form that is provided by USDA. The filled-out form must then be taken to local state USDA office to be ENDORSED.

3) Dog needs Rabies shot vaccinations. If dog is too young for Rabies shot the vet MUST issue a handwritten statement that the dog is too young to receive Rabies shot and that dog has continuously lived in the US for the last 6 months or since birth. This too must be ENDORSED BY USDA.

4) Scan the copy of endorsed USDA form and email it to Aruba Authority called "Aruba Veterinary Services" for a pre-approval stamp BEFORE you ship the animal to Aruba - contact info can be found here at USDA website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation...al_aruba.shtml

5) Book the animal on airlines that offer to ship live animal as cargo ( AA or Delta currently do) or accompany small pet in the main cabin for a fee.

6) When picking up the animal in the cargo terminal at Aruba airport, don't forget to bring the invoice for the animal. In certain cases, you need to pay duty, like we did.

FYI, our puppy was handled very well by Delta airlines and she didn't seem to be particularly stressed out by the flight. Once she was out of the crate, she was happy and normal

same rules apply to all dogs & cats regardless of how long time they plan to be in aruba.

Thanks andrea and kathy for your help!

Last edited by HappyIslander; 11-15-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Congratulations on your new Family member.

Thank you for your follow up.

Great info.
    Eagle Beach Boy
    Ontario, Canada

Aruba since 1979
    your pup is gorgeous

may you all live a long happy life together.

and the golden's coat in aruba...........good luck!! lots of baths with shampoo and conditioner....comfortis....and brushing.

enjoy and congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyIslander View Post
    Today we received our 8 week old Golden retriever puppy from the US!

Process is pretty straightforward if you do good research in advance and help prepare the breeder on the steps that need to be done before you can bring the animal into Aruba.

Andrea provided a great checklist earlier in this tread - but basically, dog/cat that is born in USA or lived in USA for last 6 moths is eligible to be imported to Aruba provided that dog/cat has following things completed:

1)Dog should be microchipped (with ISO grade)

2) Dog should see a vet who will issue a "International health certificate" form that is provided by USDA. The filled-out form must then be taken to local state USDA office to be ENDORSED.

3) Dog needs Rabies shot vaccinations. If dog is too young for Rabies shot the vet MUST issue a handwritten statement that the dog is too young to receive Rabies shot and that dog has continuously lived in the US for the last 6 months or since birth. This too must be ENDORSED BY USDA.

4) Scan the copy of endorsed USDA form and email it to Aruba Authority called "Aruba Veterinary Services" for a pre-approval stamp BEFORE you ship the animal to Aruba - contact info can be found here at USDA website: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation...al_aruba.shtml

5) Book the animal on airlines that offer to ship live animal as cargo ( AA or Delta currently do) or accompany small pet in the main cabin for a fee.

6) When picking up the animal in the cargo terminal at Aruba airport, don't forget to bring the invoice for the animal. In certain cases, you need to pay duty, like we did.

FYI, our puppy was handled very well by Delta airlines and she didn't seem to be particularly stressed out by the flight. Once she was out of the crate, she was happy and normal

same rules apply to all dogs & cats regardless of how long time they plan to be in aruba.

Thanks andrea and kathy for your help!

My home in Aruba, Casa Koyari, my second home, Casa Del Mar, followed by Arashi and Baby Beaches!
    Any dog can and will bring joy into your lives. There are so many needy dogs in Aruba. I'm not sure how old you are but possibly you can postpone your "dream" for a few more years and adopt a dog from ARF. They do a fantastic job and believe me, when you hear the horro stories about the "kill cage" you also will want to do the humane and right thing, which is to adopt an Aruban Dog.

Agree 100% with Andrea. Do reach out to Kathy (Sugar). She is fantastic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast