Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Increased Coast Guard Presence

Increased Coast Guard Presence

We just returned from another wonderful trip to Aruba (still working on my trip report). While there we noticed an increase in the presence of the Coast Guard closer to shore. While we were snorkeling with Jolly Pirates at Malmok Beach, the Coast Guard sat right next to the boat for quite some time. And then a few days later while eating lunch at Pelican's Nest, they pulled right up along side the pier and stayed awhile. Any one have insight as to why the stepped up patrols? It might just be routine checks, but we have been going to Aruba for over 10 years now and this is the first time we saw that.

Get me back to Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    it is training of the dutchmarines that are stationed on aruba as well as their usual patrols.

we ran into a whole bunch (platoon?) of them at the california lighthouse as well as the alto vista chapel.
    what a nice bunch of guys and the job they do is so appreciated.
    they were on training maneuvers and were dressed in full gear and it was SO hot!

Andrea while on tour with Bully on our way to pick up his son from school in Orangestad, Bully pointed out a bunch of dective in a parking lot of a building putting on bullet proof vest, loading up ammunition etc. Bully was worried that something might be going on but it might have been a training exercise. This was on 5/20.

Somehow I knew you would have the answer Andrea Nice to see them training. I too was impressed that they were in full gear in that heat. I was hot in a bathing suit. Think we gave them a few laughs with the rope swing on the Jolly Pirates!

Get me back to Aruba!

When we were at the Divi there was what looked like a large gray hover type craft that went by a few days. It looked to have about 8 to 10 people on board in blue uniforms. One day they all waved! Wondered who they were.

How long have they been there training? The reason I ask is that when we were there in April towards the end of the month I walked the nature trail on the Renaissance private island. Right as I got to the very end about five guys in full scuba gear walked out of the water, walked over the tip of the private island and then went back into the water. They didn't say anything to me and I didn't say anything to them but needless to say, I was slightly perplexed. Also, while we were there, the U.S. Coast Guard had a very large ship in port next to where the cruise ships dock. I just assumed that it might have been a few of those guys.

Aruba since 1979
    I know the U.S. coast guard was in port early May to assist with the king's security and ceremonies.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Maybe it has something to do with this:

Dutch navy nets six tonnes of cannabis in the Caribbean

AFP | The Hague May 21, 2015 Last Updated at 22:42 IST

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2101576_1.html

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    I interviewed someone who was there in mid February and they mentioned the Dutch Marines. So they have been there training since at least Feb 20ish

Quote Originally Posted by dah13 View Post
    How long have they been there training? The reason I ask is that when we were there in April towards the end of the month I walked the nature trail on the Renaissance private island. Right as I got to the very end about five guys in full scuba gear walked out of the water, walked over the tip of the private island and then went back into the water. They didn't say anything to me and I didn't say anything to them but needless to say, I was slightly perplexed. Also, while we were there, the U.S. Coast Guard had a very large ship in port next to where the cruise ships dock. I just assumed that it might have been a few of those guys.
    That sounds like an insane amount of marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with this:

Dutch navy nets six tonnes of cannabis in the Caribbean

AFP | The Hague May 21, 2015 Last Updated at 22:42 IST

http://www.business-standard.com/art...2101576_1.html

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post

That sounds like an insane amount of marijuana.
    But it's not unusual. There is an article from January, it includes photos as well:

US Coast Guard offloads $3.7 million worth of marijuana seized in Caribbean
    Published on January 2, 2015

MIAMI, USA -- The crew of US Coast Guard Cutter Paul Clark offloaded approximately 4,100 pounds of marijuana worth an estimated wholesale value of $3.7 million at Coast Guard Base Miami Beach on Wednesday.

http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/topstory-US-Coast-Guard-offloads-$3.7-million-worth-of-marijuana-seized-in-Caribbean-24237.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast