Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Insurance needed to extend stay past 30 days? Companies that offer coverage?

Insurance needed to extend stay past 30 days? Companies that offer coverage?

I'm posting this here because it seems that many of these sort of topics started in the general forum get moved here anyway. I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've been to the DIMAS Site and have sent emails but haven't received a reply.

http://www.dimasaruba.aw/

With my (limited) knowledge of German(similar to Dutch), I was able to navigate the site.

They list on the form, which is in English, that you need medical and liability insurance. My US insurance will cover me in foreign countries, however I have to pay up front and submit for reimbursement later. The medical coverage I'm guessing that is required (by Aruban Immigration) is a travelers medical policy; like offered by John Hancock

https://www.johnhancocktravel.com/direct/jhstart.aspx

If so, the rates seem pretty good; especially for the bare bones policy.

Does anyone recommend JH Insurance or know of another company that's good?

What is this liability insurance they are talking about?

Which companies offers such policies for (extended) travel to Aruba.

Thank you kindly.

Edited to add.

I just realized you can run (most of) the site through Google Translate. LOL. I still need the insurance info.
    Last edited by vincep; 09-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Travel.State.Gov provides some good info:

MEDICAL INSURANCE: You can’t assume your insurance will go with you when you travel. It’s very important to find out BEFORE you leave whether or not your medical insurance will cover you overseas. You need to ask your insurance company two questions:

• Does my policy apply when I’m out of the United States?
    • Will it cover emergencies like a trip to a foreign hospital or a medical evacuation?

In many places, doctors and hospitals still expect payment in cash at the time of service. Your regular U.S. health insurance may not cover doctors’ and hospital visits in other countries. If your policy doesn’t go with you when you travel, it’s a very good idea to take out another one for your trip. For more information, please see our medical insurance overseas page.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1153.html

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Travel.State.Gov provides some good info:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1153.html
    I already know that I need a travelers medical insurance policy that will pay the medical bills up front.

My question is about the liability insurance that is needed.

http://www.dimasaruba.aw/index.php/download-docmenten

Extension of stay after admission

If a tourist wants to stay longer then the number of days granted by the immigration officer on the ED-card upon admission, he or she can apply at the office of Dimas for an extension for up to 180 days if applicable. The form for tourist stay extension is available at the office of the DIMAS, and can also be downloaded from DIMAS Aruba. An application for an extension of stay can be filed at the DIMAS from Monday to Thursday, from 2:30PM-4:00PM. There is no filing fee for a tourist extension application.
    The following documents have to be presented:

• original application form for extension of tourist stay;
    • copy of the profile page and all the written and stamped pages of the petitioner's passport, valid for at least another 3 months when the extension is applied for;
    • copy Embarkation-Disembarkation card (ED-card);
    • copy valid return ticket;
    • copy of travel insurance (medical and liability) valid for the duration of the extended stay;
    • if the petitioner is not staying at his own private residence or at a hotel/resort, he needs to present a declaration of guarantee from a resident of Aruba who will act as guarantor for their stay.
    • Anyone wanting to stay longer than 180 days in Aruba will need a residence permit and will not be considered a tourist.
    Last edited by vincep; 09-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.

CK1
    You are welcome!

The Travel.State.Gov also provides the following list:

Medical Insurance

4-26-2013
    Several private organizations will provide medical information and insurance for overseas travelers. Most charge a fee for this service. The following is provided for informational purposes only and in no way constitutes an endorsement, expressed or implied, by the Department of State.
    U.S.-Based Travel Insurance Companies

More info at link
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1470.html

Regarding Liability Insurance:

Here is some info:http://www.ennia-aruba.com/private/i...lity-insurance

You could contact them for detailed info.

You are welcome!

Regarding Liability Insurance:

Here is some info:http://www.ennia-aruba.com/private/i...lity-insurance

You could contact them for detailed info.
    Thank you kindly.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    Thank you kindly.
    My pleasure!

It seems that while Aruba is generous in the amount of time they allow a tourist(who owns property) to stay, they want to make sure you have personal liability coverage; in case you(or your guests, pets etc) injure someone or cause damage to their property. Totally reasonable and understandable.

Now the question is how expensive is the insurance policy? If I have time tomorrow, I'll try to find out.

CK1
    The US is similar, a tourist can stay up to 90 days. And can rent a car for that time, drive around with their Driver License. However, if one would stay longer, a special visa is required and, for instance, Texas requires to get a Texas Driver License, meaning one has to study and pass the written test and driving test.

It is just an example how the countries can be different in their rules and regulations when it comes to residency (staying longer than 90 days).

The US is similar, a tourist can stay up to 90 days. And can rent a car for that time, drive around with their Driver License. However, if one would stay longer, a special visa is required and, for instance, Texas requires to get a Texas Driver License, meaning one has to study and pass the written test and driving test.

It is just an example how the countries can be different in their rules and regulations when it comes to residency (staying longer than 90 days).
    Mexicans, Canadians and I believe Brits can stay in the US 180 days per year; as a tourist. AFAIK, there is no personal liability insurance requirement; although they may be required(by law) to get health insurance.

As a property owner, you can stay up to 180 consecutive days(180 days max per calender year) as a tourist in Aruba; otherwise it's only 30 days per trip. Without checking, I believe even non property owners can stay for 180 days per calender year but only 30 days max per trip.
    Last edited by vincep; 09-06-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Extension of stay upon entry

Upon entry in Aruba, the following persons can apply for an extension of their stay for more than 30 days but not exceeding 180 days:

• nationals of the Kingdom of the Netherlands can request an extension of their stay for up to 180 consecutive days;
    • nationals from the countries mentioned in list A, and visa required persons who are exempt from the visa requirement, can request an extension of their stay for up to 180 consecutive days, if:
      • they have property in Aruba, i.e. a house, condominium, apartment, time-share, apartment or a pleasure yacht moored in Aruba with a length of at least 14 meters measured from the water line. They must show proof of ownership of the property. For a stay of up to 180 days.
      • If they don't have property in Aruba, they must have a declaration of guarantee from a resident of Aruba who will act as guarantor for and be liable for any costs incurred during their stay. The guarantor in Aruba can download the declaration of guarantee from the dimas website, following the procedures to have it legalized and sent it to the visitor abroad; the tourist can request for a stay of up to 90 days.

So it's 30 days, as a tourist, per trip without a resident sponsor,90 days per trip with a resident sponsor and 180 days per trip as a property owner. The max is 180 days per calender year, no matter what category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast