Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: intense thunderstorm

Mr. Ratt . . . being here in Aruba with my eldest son experiencing the wrath of nature this morning and tuning in to the weather heroics in Toronto last night via my lovely bride . . . plus hearing our more earthquakes in Peru today is unsettling to say the least . . . remember, we do not inherent the earth from our forefathers but borrow it from our children . . . peace all. Michael

Aruba since 1979
    tomorrow i will take some photos

i will forward them to lisa and she will post.

i cannot get stuff to post due to the slow slow connection from setar.

Exclamation From Andrea

here are 3 photos of st anne church in noord.
    many many folks on the outside saying rosary.
    these people are heartbroken and i did not take their photos (trying to be respectful)

this is the closest i could get to the church

click on thumbnail to enlarge

A picture speaks a 1000 words. Very very tragic and sad indeed.

The Morning News has details. According to head meteorologist, Marck Oduber, the damage was caused by down drafts and not a tornado.

Windshear directed major damage in nearby North

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:56
    http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/81975-wi...omgeving-noord

The myrtle Rozario: Relatives take damage when the roof is blown off this morning.

ORANGE CITY - A what now appears to wind shear (no hurricane) has caused great damage in many areas such as North Washington, North and Alto Vista. Roofs flew from houses, trees and fell to the St. Anne's Church was badly damaged. Schools were hit and kept the doors closed. The authorities reported no injuries and have so far only scattered traumatized people assisted. Roads around the church in the north are closed and are progressing slowly to the affected area of power. There is the Red Cross emergency shelter for victims in Dakota where they can get help and peace.

The forces of nature began this morning about half past six. It was not the big dark rain cloud that drew attention to the sky, but the constant rumbling and thundering sound coming from the cloud came. Part of that cloud suddenly began to turn downward in the shape of a tornado and that scene repeated itself several times. Then there was a lot of rain and then stopped. Or so it was in some parts of those districts experiencing. People who lived in their car and then got to go to work or school, were surprised by traffic jams. Slowly by that sudden weather changes may more damage had been done. And who switched on the radio, then learned that the roof of the church was damaged by North, that schools in the area were closed and residents in the early morning, literally the roof of their house had seen blowing.

Driving through the streets of Alto Vista, it appears that many houses damaged. Residents stand outside to watch other people already on the roofs of their homes have climbed to corrugated to remove that might otherwise fall. Streets and the broken knoek are everywhere and blew away roof parts. The door of the house of Olga Kelly (58) is open, but who looks inside, sees just the now slightly gray sky. The roof is blown off. Kelly says she stood in her kitchen when she noticed that the "sand rained. "There was so much sand out of the sky falling on my house. And then suddenly blew off the roof and rain fell all inside. "Meanwhile, family and neighbors run inside to dry the tears of Kelly. And an employee of Social Affairs to enter into the personal injury information.

Another employee of Social Affairs said that the social workers from all districts are summoned to the area around the church, and Washington Alto Vista to come. "We work in three teams and go through all the affected houses. We take the damage so that we can later today to determine who should receive priority treatment. "On the number of affected houses he can not speak, but it is clear that many, in all three areas.

Meanwhile, in several places with Elmar platforms working to restore electricity. The police is doing its best to work with the Public Works Department sections off. But many motorists want to through away from the area, and accept no roadblocks. The police action is urgently needed to staff Elmar safe their jobs done. The fire department was engaged in various areas, particularly to fallen trees and cutting off the roadway free.

Schools also closed Friday

The three areas are five schools affected. Elementary Kudawecha appears to lie just outside the disaster area and is still open. Had expected the director of the school this morning that there are not many children. The other schools, St. Anne, St. Alloiusschool, Cayenne, kindergarten and elementary school Washington Washington (especially water damage and broken ceilings) are closed. Especially the St. Anne School was badly damaged. Much of the roof flew off. The police closed off the area because of safety, especially because there is asbestos and should be investigated first.

Education Minister Arthur Dower makes quite quickly this morning a tour of the schools. At primary school teachers to Washington, he speaks and tells them that the damage at their school are bad. The damage at St. Anna and St. Alloiusschool is greatest, says Dower. He shows that these five schools remain closed tomorrow, so that an inventory be made of the damage. "Only then will we know which schools are open again Monday, and which can not." He calls it an emergency that he never made. "Today I talk with the Minister of Finance to see where we can get more money from these schools as soon as possible to repair so they can open again." Lecturers from Washington Elementary School expressed their concerns about possible asbestos in the ceiling. However, this is rejected by Dower. "This school was built in 1997 and I do not think the building is used asbestos. Technical Inspection Service but goes all through school and then I know how the situation at school. "

Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-26-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    here are 3 photos of st anne church in noord.
    many many folks on the outside saying rosary.
    these people are heartbroken and i did not take their photos (trying to be respectful)

this is the closest i could get to the church

click on thumbnail to enlarge

Having seen the Church in person, I know how beautiful it is. How sad.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12