Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ipad/internet/setar internet access

Aruba since 1979

ipad/internet/setar internet access

I am technologically impaired. (like you did not already know that) I got my hands on a refurbished ipad 2 for pretty cheap and am enjoying it. (if you have an iphone and love it, you will go gaa gaa over an ipad)
    we are heading to aruba soon for a week at lacabana and a week at the renaissance ocean suites. lacabana has wifi and i am wondering if i can use 1 week of internet, (1 setar card) on both my macbook and my ipad.......not at the same time. $35 for the setar internet and i do not want to purchase 2. can is use it on the 2 devices but not concurrently? i am assuming that i can, but we all know about the word "assume."

and i know that the renaissance marina, where we'll spend our 2nd week has wired internet in the rooms and has wifi in the lobby and poolside. their fee is higher at $70ish. i am pretty cheap and will not spend $70 for internet, so i may hang out at starbucks once a day and nurse an iced coffee to go on their free wifi.

thanks

Sgroi135 can answer this question.

Dom
    You can use 2 devices but not at the same time. It takes a few minutes once you disconnect 1 device before you can login with the 2nd device. For the last 3 years I have purchased the Setar card at the Costa Linda for $35/week with unlimited access. Last year I was able to use my PC in the room, and the IPad at the pool with no problem. The WIFI signal at the Costa Linda seems to be very good.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks that is the answer I neededQUOTE=Dom;215240]You can use 2 devices but not at the same time. It takes a few minutes once you disconnect 1 device before you can login with the 2nd device. For the last 3 years I have purchased the Setar card at the Costa Linda for $35/week with unlimited access. Last year I was able to use my PC in the room, and the IPad at the pool with no problem. The WIFI signal at the Costa Linda seems to be very good.[/QUOTE]

Andrea, did you know if you go into settings on your Ipad, then "cellular data", you can order 1 month of data for $14.99. I do that all the time when I go on trips. You just have to remember at the end of the month, go back in to settings and cancel or they will keep charging you. I love that At&t lets you do it right from you ipad 1 month at a time.

Aruba since 1979
    Thanks Shelly but my iPad does not have cell only wifi. I have the Verizon plan on my iPhone.

Andrea, my I don't have a cell plan for my ipad either, but anyone can order it a month at a time. My brother has a monthly plan for his ipad, but I don't need it so I just get it when I travel. The cheapest plan ($14.99) has only 250mb, and they have a 2gb plan for $25 for 30 days. I get the cheaper, as I feel I only need it for a week, and 250mb is good enough for a week. I should add this is not a cell plan, but a data plan.

Aruba since 1979
    hmmmm i think i will give verizon a call or maybe i should bring the ipad into the verizon store and let them tell me.

:-)

i just called verizon.
    they said YES i can create a mobile hot spot with my ipad and i guess using my iphone as the connector..........BUT i would accrue roaming charges and high data use.

so, now off to the verizon store to see what a person tells me face to face.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-02-2011 at 09:52 AM.

LaCabana owners need to unite and demand free WiFi and internet. Yea, I know its not free and included in the annual fee but they are behind the curve on this amenity.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Aruba since 1979
    4 different answers from 4 different verizon folks.
    called verizon wireless 2 times.
    1st answer was $20 for 2 gb for mobile hotspot plus roaming charges and can do it on a month to month basis.
    2nd answer from calling verizon wireless was same $20 for 2 gb of mobile hotspot and no roaming.
    then i went to verizon store and the
    3rd answer i got was $130 as i would need domestic and global hotspot and only 320 mb of data and no roaming.
    then 4th answer,the manager of the store said $20 for a month and no roaming and an activation fee.
    my answer is verizon can go to hell. not one answer i got was in agreement with another.

so it looks like i go back to my original plan and get the setar card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast