Aruba Beach
Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The joys of trip planning!

Well the cheap floats I ordered came in and we don't really like them. We will find a use for them at home on the lake I'm sure so they won't go to waste. But after listening to some of the onehappy podcasts I decided we would be better off with the swimways papasan floats (thanks CindyO and Burghboy) . Target has some on sale online for $14.99 but they only had one color left so if you are looking, now's the time.

I gave in to the diver in the family and got a good quality mask for snorkeling. Dare I say, I think he was right - I can tell the difference from my old one just by how it sticks to my face.

Two weeks to go, and all that's left is finding movies to download for the plane ride and adding new music to the ipod for the beach days.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 02-09-2015 at 01:13 AM.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ounger&i=32981

Tracey - we bought one of these at Costco in Canada... I think it was $30 CDN...it folds up flat with a loop and easily fits in the bottom of a suitcase. We love it and it's really stable for the sitter... And, more importantly, drinks LOL...

[QUOTE=act1966;268638]http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ounger&i=32981

Tracey - we bought one of these at Costco in Canada... I think it was $30 CDN...it folds up flat with a loop and easily fits in the bottom of a suitcase. We love it and it's really stable for the sitter... And, more importantly, drinks LOL...[

Great suggestion! We used to have two very similar to those and we would tie a rope off of them to a boat or dock. They are awesome! We were looking for something smaller this time around.

I have been debating the floatie issue myself; buying here to take with me or getting one there. Frank's Place is on the beach around the Hol Inn and Playa Linda. He rents floats for $5/day. If I take a float from home, no matter how light-weight it is and how small it may fold up, it will add bulk and weight to my suitcase, but it would be nice to have one with a drink holder, lol. I'm thinking the cost of renting from Frank (who has been there since 1991 I believe), is justified so I don't have to drag the sand covered float back and forth to my room if I take my own. So, I think I've decided to forego putting one in my suitcase and renting from Frank; and I can use the space in my suitcase for an extra swimsuit and pair of shoes. And, as DH put it, at $5 a day x 7 days there, it's cheaper than the $50 float here (that's the cost at Gander Mtn now).

I don't know if there are float rentals on other beaches, but I don't see why there wouldn't be.

Also, back to the topic of the joys of trip planning. I previously stated I was in a packing/planning lull with 55 days to go. Alas, DH just gave me new suitcases and Vera Bradley toiletry case for my birthday last week!!! Let the packing, unpacking and repacking begin.

We have debated the float rental issue too. On our last trip we rented from one of the vendors near the Radisson. I would do that again. If we had to pay for luggage I absolutely would not pack floats. You are spot on with the bulk issue. The first floats I bought were only $3 each with the idea that we would just use them in the Lazy river and probably just leave them there for the next person. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for and we didn't think we would actually use them on the trip. we will use the papasan floats at home too. This trip will be a test and I will let you know if we think it's worth packing them or not.

I have decided not to start packing till the day before we leave. This is so unlike me but this trip we are leaving on a Sunday, so with Monday to Friday jobs that is going to leave us a while Saturday of waiting. I figure packing will kill some time.

Aruba since 1979
    what about the blow up noodles?
    the are flat and lightweight in luggage
    comes with a foot pump.
    we sit on them/straddle, like a horse
    or bend in shape of U and sit in middle.
    i will find the link.
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDet...JA#color=37181
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-09-2015 at 01:18 PM.

OMG !! I am really bad. My family calls me CDO cause it has to be in order...lol
    We cruise a lot and I have one of those big coupon books with the dividers... I have everything in order from pre hotel, parking, boarding passes, shore excursions with the amount of money in each one... and so on
    Since we are raising two grand kids (yep... one of those special groups that are doing it) I pack in "sets" everyday...
    Just wondering if the Renaissance has floats if not that will have to be the first thing that goes in my suit case.

We are deep into this right now! Last night my wife booked our airfare and signed the contract for our rental. We will be at the Surf Club March 13th until the 20th. Kind of a last minute trip but we are excited. She does a great job getting this all figured out! Now its time to get our daily plans together!

Bringing our daughter and her bf on along with us. She will be celebrating her 21st birthday on the island and I will be celebrating my 50th.

Anyone been on the party bus? we are also booking a red sail snorkeling trip. Any suggestions or opinions on those?

It's our third trip and we cant wait!

Andrea - I had a bad experience ordering the blow up noodles. I wasn't paying attention I guess and thought they would be similar to the foam ones but the ones I got ended up being ridiculously huge. We gave them away. I'm sure it was my fault for the bad order, but won't go that route again. We love the regular noodles and have a ton of them. We bought one in Aruba once and left it there. Do you see a pattern here? We have bought enough floats and rafts over the last few years to open our own ebay store..lol. Okay maybe not, but I'm trying to stop doing that. We do use them though, if not for us, then family and friends - we are always around water. Papasans are ordered, we'll see how it goes.

Brady - I'm sure Andrea or Cindy will have a better answer for the Renaissance specifically, but most of the float rentals we've seen are the long mats types. Depending on the age of the kids, you may want something different for them.

Steph and Jim - Aren't last minute trips the best? You don't have to wait as long. But for us planners, it kicks everything into overdrive! You guys should check out Jolly Pirates. It's a snorkel party boat with snorkeling, sailing, a rope swing, dance music and open bar. In our experience the 9am trip is our favorite. It includes lunch. That's how I spent my last birthday - the pirates are a lot of fun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast